Roundup

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen the TV commercials about a class action lawsuit against the makers of Roundup now that it's been classified as a carcinogen?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lifetime Risk of Developing Cancer: Approximately 2.1 percent of men and women will be diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma at some point during their lifetime, based on 2012-2014 data.

IF Round up is cause and effect to non-Hodgkin lymphoma why isn't there an epidemic among AG workers? If average citizen is at 2.1%, AG workers should be at least at 10+%.

All chemicals are dangerous, take precautions. Follow directions. Why would anyone spray their yard with this product every week? I can sympathize with anyone fighting cancer but I blame this on lawyers. I'll leave my rant about lawyers alone here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/roundup-weed-killer-lawsuit-monsanto-glyphosate-cancer-claims/

Good read that explains a lot.

There are over 72,000 new cases of non Hodgkin lymphoma in 2017. 30 are caused by round up? Of those 30 cases, round up is the ONLY common thing they share? That is beyond stupid. Think they all use a microwave? Think they all might work in sun without proper sun screens? I could go on and on in common things....lawyers......

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always wondered about how they arrive conclusively at what caused a persons cancer. There are so many variables in every individuals lifestyle, even if they have a common denominator, who says it's not something entirely different?

My dad was an ag worker as a young man, got crop dusted regularly with DDT in the field. He lived to be 87, cancer free and died of a stroke from stress 57 days after my mom died.
I don't know why dad didn't develop cancer after all that, and why some people do get cancer that seem to live a healthy lifestyle.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Genetics, mostly. They determine if an agent is a carcinogen by testing it on lab animals, then if a person gets cancer after frequent use of an agent, they have something on which to blame it....but, in the end, it's usually genetics.

One man could use that stuff all his life, like your dad, and never have a problem. One fella could use it three years and the carcinogen could attack his faulty genetics and kill him.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that the mice/rats used to test products already have a high incidence of growths (cancer). They then test a product on them to see if an animal with an extremely high tendency to growths, get growths faster, more in volume or a shift in population percentage. So a population that has a 50% chance of teveloping tumors, goes to 55%, it is labeled a carcinogen.

Now this is in no way a recommendation to use chemicals or to ever use them in a dangerous method.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that the mice/rats used to test products already have a high incidence of growths (cancer). They then test a product on them to see if an animal with an extremely high tendency to growths, get growths faster, more in volume or a shift in population percentage. So a population that has a 50% chance of teveloping tumors, goes to 55%, it is labeled a carcinogen.

Now this is in no way a recommendation to use chemicals or to ever use them in a dangerous method.

I think that's the whole point of the testing, though. It's not necessarily for those who are not prone to cancer but for those who would be if exposed to a carcinogen, so the rats that are prone for it pretty much mimic the human population. A person who is prone to develop cancer and never exposed to a carcinogen, may live their whole life cancer free...but add carcinogens in the mix~like smoking, chemical exposure, etc.~and their chances increase mightily.