Runners for BYP

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi friends :frow
I need some opinions, so I am running some concepts of BYP articles here for you guys to choose which you think is most worthy of my attention (the last article I gave BYP was over 2,800 words long - I don't want to put all that work into something that nobody will read) so..... take your pick. Most of these are in the paragraph-long computer-document stage.....

1- Canada's last living Turkey breed
2- Old English Game bantams
3- Raising Ducks
4- Buying quality chickens (no, not spamming)
5- Stewardship
6- Pecking Order observations
7- Welsh ducks
8- Advent of Extinction
9- On the Outside Looking In (consider this the 'secret project' article :lol:

And out of all the breed drafts I am working on....
1-Rugener geese
2-Dorkings
3-Hamburgs
4-Faverolles
5-Antwerps
6-d'Uccles
7-True Cornish
8-German Phoenix
9-Welsummers

Here's the priority list thus far...
1- Raising Ducks

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wowoh, I should've mentioned that they have articles slotted in until winter! By the time any of these article might come out, your ducks would be year or so old! (not much help)

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
Hi friends :frow
I need some opinions, so I am running some concepts of BYP articles here for you guys to choose which you think is most worthy of my attention (the last article I gave BYP was over 2,800 words long - I don't want to put all that work into something that nobody will read) so..... take your pick. Most of these are in the paragraph-long computer-document stage.....

1- Canada's last living Turkey breed
2- Old English Game bantams
3- Raising Ducks
4- Buying quality chickens (no, not spamming)
5- Stewardship
6- Pecking Order observations
7- Welsh ducks
8- Advent of Extinction
9- On the Outside Looking In (consider this the 'secret project' article :lol: )

Here's the priority list thus far...
1- Raising Ducks
My choice in order would be:
Canada's last living turkey breed (cuz I'm Canadian and I loved raising turkeys)
On the Outside looking in (Oooooo, a secret project :cool: )
OEGB's (popular breed...who knew there were soooo many colours)
Buying quality chickens (because you and I know that all chickens are NOT created equal)
Pecking order observations
Advent of Extinction
Raising Ducks
Welsh Ducks
Stewardship

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to cast our votes. :)

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, my OEGB article wouldn't be much of a rainbow since I only own Buff and BBReds, but it'll be as interesting as I can make it!
There are only two canadian turkeys, the Charlevoix and the Ridley. Both were used to create the Beltsville Small White breed, and the Charlevoix is now extinct, and the Ridley has -100 adults alive.
My inspiration for the buying chickens article is because the first chickens we ever bought were ifested with NFM (Northern Fowl Mites). The result was years of consequences and vain deaths. The cause was because there is just no information on getting quality stock if your not a chicken guru. I decided to outline all the neccesities of buying the best breeders, meat birds, egg birds, broodies, and of course healthy birds. And the draft document on my computer is called: 'Used-car buyers beware' :lol: .
I have noticed some very bizarre and interesting things with my stock's pecking orders, especcially the inter-rooster order. So I thought I write about it.
Advent of Extinction is as you probably guessed a call to arms article for anyone wishing to conserve heritage breeds. It does not so much outline reasons for preservation, but warnings about preservation and methods of preservation. There is much, much more to this than breeding Dorkings...
Raising ducks. Okay, well, I'm starting this article in a week or so, when I get the newest ducklings. It will be a step-by-step, day-by-day thing, sort of what to do and when to do it.
Welsh ducks. Good thing you didn't pick this one as high priority. I am having a heck of a time filling an article (at least 800 words accompanied by at least 2 photos)
Stewardship. Almost a cross between the pecing order and Advent of Extinction articles. It's similar in some ways (especcially title) to Dan Powells' Article in the last Aug./Sept. issue.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought about Dorkings.... just because I like the name... haha

The other breed I thought about was Buckeyes. They're from Ohio... like me... so I don't know if they would do very well in the hot, humid environment that is southeastern NC. This morning I felt like I needed to put on my bathing suit and swim thru the humidity to feed the ducks. It's awful outside today. :/

Latest posts