Rushing spring.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The darn olive trees have decided to bud and not wait for spring this year. So, I began adding a little fertilizer and increased the photoperiod by a half hour. It looks like I will have to hand pollinate them again this year using an artist brush and small fan, which is a job I totally dislike. For tiny flowers, they produce a lot of pollen.

olive buds.jpg

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The darn olive trees have decided to bud and not wait for spring agan this year. So, I began adding a little fertilizer and increased the photoperiod by a half hour. It looks like I will have to hand pollinate them again this year using an artist brush and small fan, which is a job I totally dislike. For tiny flowers, they produce a lot of pollen.

View attachment 30057
Did you get olives last year? And what did you do with them?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you get olives last year? And what did you do with them?
I did not get them, the birds or some other critter did. Who would have thought birds in New York would even know what an olive was? The birds would sit on the fence looking down at the olives so I suspected them. I bought pickling salt and was looking up ways to brine them, and one morning not a single olive was left on the trees.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not get them, the birds or some other critter did. Who would have thought birds in New York would even know what an olive was? The birds would sit on the fence looking down at the olives so I suspected them. I bought pickling salt and was looking up ways to brine them, and one morning not a single olive was left on the trees.
Oh, those varmints!

Latest posts