rusty garden tools

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I was not so diligent on the care and keepin of my tools. But I have seen the error of my ways. But how do I bring them back from the brink of destruction?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can take some sharp sand in a big bucket and add some motor oil (used is OK). Then you can take digging tools like shovels, spading forks and trowels and work them up and down in it. That will remove most of the rust and coat them with oil. I have most of my trouble with wooden handles rotting in the socket. Working some lineseed oil into the dry wood helps with that.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
What is sharp sand?
Sharp sand comes from quarries where they crush rock. The sand and dust that is a by-product of rock crushing has sharp corners and points that is very good for scratching the rust off of your garden tools. It is also best for making mortar and concrete due to the sharp edges that tend to lock things together.

Beach and river sand is not sharp. It has rounded edges and no points. Therefore it does not bond together well in concrete or mortar. However, it does work OK for your garden tools. Just not quite as well as sharp sand.

Silica sand is actually a form of glass caused by volcanic activity. Some sandbox sand from the old days is silica but it is not used any more for sandboxes. Silica sand is usually very white and beautiful. Respirable silica (fine enough powder to be inhaled) is very dangerous and is a known carcinogen. It is advisable to always stay from silica sand.

Apologies for the long answer but a little knowledge can go a long way.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is there a way to sharpen the blades? or the edges of my pitch fork or shovels?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can use a file or stone, which I have done , but I think I'm not so good at keeping the proper angle, so I bought an Accu-Sharp tool. It takes the guess work out for me and works well on most everything except my small hand pruners. I bought mine at Ace hardware for $10.
Here's what it looks like:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30335

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
To clean them up and get the rust off...if you have an angle grinder or even a bench grinder, that would make quicker work of them. Another option is a steel brush head on a power drill. I refinished a rusty antique wrought iron bed that way.

I sharpen mine with a metal file I bought at the hardware store. It's actually pretty easy and gets them nice and sharp. Working with a dull hoe will wear you out in no time! :p

ETA: and be sure to oil when you're done (esp. when storing over winter). I use linseed oil.

Latest posts