Saffron crocus bulbs

yardfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i have about 30 corms of crocus sativus in a bag. When is it time to plant these little bulbs? Hopeing to get some saffron for the spice rack.

I'm in zone 8b Oregon. any advice is appreciated!

thanks.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would not leave them waiting too long - put them in the ground but then keep them hot and DRY, I think? Saffron really wants to bake in the summer.

I have to say that the three people I've known who've grown them (including my mom and sister) have had ZERO success in generating usable culinary saffron. I dunno whether they harvested them at the wrong time, or did not grow them hot and 'happy' enough, or what, but the result was not saffron-y at all. Hopefully you will have better luck!

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard of people keeping them out of the ground during the summer to keep them dry and hot.

They need very rich soil as well. Pick the buds before they start to flower.

yardfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses pat and oakland. i guess the lack of success with these crocus is the reason they were given up to me without a fuss.

i'll give it a try anyway, split the goodies; half in the ground now in a very sunny spot, and wait until later with the rest.

Latest posts