Say hello to my creepy little friend!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found this on my back porch yesterday...

20171102_201146.jpg 20171102_200940.jpg 20171102_200900.jpg

It's a Wheel Bug, a type of Assassin beetle. It is about an inch and a quarter long! They say they are like having a lion in your backyard. They eat Mexican bean beetles and Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs and many others. YAY! Because I have had plenty of each. The Asian Lady Beetles did finally level out, and we have been plagued with the BMSB's the past 3 years. Maybe their days are now numbered.

I am aware of their terrible bite. I told the kids not to stomp them and not to touch them either. They daily find something to put in a jar and show me, but they avoided this guy because of his fierce looks.

I have not preemptively sprayed my garden other than a rare spot treatment here or there for about 3 years now. I have all kinds of beneficials on duty, but this is the first Assassin beetle I have ever seen. I had a lot of Mexican bean beetles at the end of summer. They must have drawn him here.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have orange and black assassin beetles. I would LOVE to have some of these! The ones that I have like aphids, so when the aphids show up, I do nothing because my little friends need food! I like my assassin beetles so much that I caught some at our old house and brought them with me. But I think these same bugs were already here.

IMG1359.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Somebody called into Mid American Gardener recently that they had spotted one of these in their backyard garden, so I guess they are native here, too.
Can't have ENOUGH predators in my garden!
Just don't criticize their "religion!"
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_(series)
...or the kitties who also believe in this!

Latest posts