Scale on elephant ear...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I brought one of my elelphant ears inside- and it already has scale! I am so disappointed! Any ideas on how to kill this stuff? Sticky leaves, web things, etc. I was really hoping for beautiful, tropical leaves all winter.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at the Bonine systemic insecticides for one you can use for scale. I have been using them the last few years on non edible plants to protect my important seedlings from any infestation. I may be wrong but I feel the danger to humans and pets is less because it is not airborn. It has worked great for me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I use a super fine oil on scale and mites outdoors and it works perfect, smothering those pests. I'm sure it would work on a house plant, but I don't know how annoying the smell might be. It's not really noticeable outdoors, but I shared the truck cab with my sprayer one day and found it kind of unpleasant. It's called Organocide and it's available at the local HD here.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been wondering this myself...my epiphyllums always get badly covered in scale after being outside on the porch all summer. It's ugly. I'd love to get rid of it!

Latest posts