Scared to eat Dessert!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My other half brought home a Quart size jar of Apricot Preserves that his co-worker's wife made.

Today I decided on two separate recipes; both of them called Apricot Bars.

One used Quaker Oats, and the other was a dough. The premise was the same, and the one with the dough has chopped nuts on top and used eggs and vanilla.

I thought the two contrasting recipes might help us in determining which recipe we liked best. At first I was only going to do one at a time so I would not have too much sweetness laying around.

As I was forming the oatmeal layer in the pan, I asked my other half to pop the top on the preserves. He reached in and used a can opener. No biggy. I then proceeded to ladle out the helping on the recipe. Baking began.

I then was inspired to do the dough recipe as well. I got the dough mixture done and then fixed the topping mixture. I took the lid off the jar of preserves and ladled out the amount needed and then as I went to put the lid on the jar I see a good sized chunk of glass missing from the edge of the jar. Big enough to have not been able to be there prior to popping the lid.

What a nightmare. So I used the ladle and tried to feel on my layer of apricot on my dough layer. I could not feel a thing...just pure slippery apricot. So my suspicions lie with the jar of remaining apricot, the floor, or in my now baking Apricot Bars with Oatmeal.

I decided to search the remaining apricot pulp, nothing. I then cooled down the first recipe and began baking the second dish. I then, knowing I had to throw the first batch away, scooped off the top layer and felt around through the apricot to see if i could find the missing piece of glass jar. Nothing.

I swept the floor....Nothing.

I searched the countertop, .....Nothing.

And, now my next recipe is sitting on the counter just as delicious as can be.

What do I do ?

Ron :(:(:(

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you concerned that the glass will get you or that the preserves might be bad?

I might taste carefully but I would never give them out to anyone but myself. Especially kids! If you can toss em toss. I the desire for a nibble overcomes chew carefully. I have been known to eat more than my share of questionable meals.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah,

Although I was quick to destroy my first creation, I just couldn't do it to the second; especially when I realized that I did not have enough butter to do the recipes over again.

I already had a little nibble. OMG!!!! I am in heaven. I had tasted the preserves before using them and they were quite intense and quite tart. I knew they were good because her tree was just ripe several weeks back.

Yeah, sorry, all company that comes over will not be able to partake in my delight. If I cut my tongue it will only serve me right! LOL
2yxghau.jpg

Now to finagle my way into another jar of those preserves!

Ron

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would definitely risk a few bites of glass, for a taste of that!! It looks incredible- would you post the recipe? I presume you could use other types of preserves as well? Enjoy!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I soooo hate it when that kind of thing happens! :barnie

But with glass . . . that is one thing in my food that scares me the most, because I imagine what would happen internally if I swallowed it.

If it was the can opener that broke the jar, odds are very high that the piece of glass stayed on the very top of the preserves. You are probably safe eating the second dessert. Just chew very well before swallowing. ;)

Oh and tell your friend that the jar broke (but don't mention that you still used some) . . . I'm sure they would take pity on you and give you more. :D

Latest posts