Scientists in Antarctica harvested 1st vegetables

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
always interesting to see what they are attempting, but so misguided in the end...

the idea that by excluding soil/diseases that you'll get results... yes, you will for a while, but eventually you get mutations and diseases which if plants are grown and developed without any resistances then they're wiped out...

soil and life are complex ecosystems. you don't get anywhere with sterility because humans themselves are not sterile we are also communal creatures and have vast numbers of species in/on/about us.

the only way you end up with sterile environments in the future on other planets would be if we were turned into robots/hardware and were no longer biological systems at all. at some point this decision may actually be made because to survive a long space trip it may not be possible otherwise.

we'll see. (well i won't, but someone(s) will (i hope :) ))

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps these growrooms can be areas for composting with your earthworm friends, several species of beneficial insects, a few canaries, a small colony of bunnies, and a home brewing operation.

We moved off the farm when I was 14.

By 15 I had a terrarium with common vegetable plants under a desk light, imagining how I could take them to another planet. My 2 dogs and a parakeet were the livestock but I didn't replenished my poultry flock for about 10 years. By then, I was fairly well grounded.

Steve

Latest posts