Seed Companys

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to place an order for some strawberry and blueberry plants. I have 3 catalogs from companys in Bloomington Ill. They all use the same numbering system and have the same stock at the same price.
It looks like I may have answered my question before I asked it.
One of the cos. is Burgess, another is Four Seasons Nursery and the third is House of Wesley. Does anyone know how they are related or tied into each other? Is any one of these better than the other?
One answer I found while looking up each cos. correct name was that Burgess Seed is located on Four Seasons Road while Four Seasons Nursery is not!!!
Go figure!!

THANX RICH

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All those companies you mentioned are all under DirectGardening.com. I've ordered from there a few times but yes i believe their all the same company.

Hope this helps!

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have ordered from some of those also and realized that they are the same company. I did not have a lot of success with them. Let us know how your order was when it arrived and how the plants did.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WoW!- Burgess is one big family.
Here's what I've done. After reading some reviews about their various companies I didn't know exactly what to do or where to go.
A little junket I made this morning fixed all that. I went to breakfast, a town over, which has a Wal Mart. Went by Wallies place to pick up a bag of potting soil, they had blueberry plants, with the same gaurantee as most nurseries, they were a buck fifty more than from Burgess or any of their other companies.
I picked up 4 plants and I'll see how they do.
I also picked up some more of their strawberry crowns.
The more I read about ordering from any of the catalogs it looked like a 2 week or so wait to get whatever I wanted, and now I have them in hand and can plant tomorrow, if the weather permits.

THANX RICH

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I picked up a bag of strawberries from wallys last year.I think it was 10 for $3.They are growing well.

I never had any luck with blueberry plants no matter where I bought them from!

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
The more I read about ordering from any of the catalogs it looked like a 2 week or so wait to get whatever I wanted, and now I have them in hand and can plant tomorrow, if the weather permits.
You can also see what shape their in when you buy them. The trouble I have had is that when they arrive they are not healthy. I realize that many things are bare root and dormant but just never had much luck with mail order. Hope they do well for you.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know what you mean about seed companies being expensive. I spent $17 on seed potatoes last year with shipping. This year I went to the local hardware store and got the same kind of potatoes for $5. They are not organic though. We'll see how they do but for only $5 I feel like I am already ahead.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would be very cautious in ordering anything from Burgess and their other companies out of Bloomington, Il. On the Garden Watchdog website, all of the companies have more negative ratings than positive. This jibes with what I've personally experienced with them.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did get the strawberry crowns and the blueberries planted on the 29th. The blueberries have taken off but the crowns are still dormant.
I like how healthy the blueberry bushes look so I bought a couple of raspberry and a couple of blackberry plants also. Just got them Fri and put them in the ground Sat.
Checked on them and watered them this afternoon, they all are still standing tall.

THANX RICH

Latest posts