Seed Heat Mat

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had some trouble with my indoor seeds last year. My house is cool and I think it was just not warm enough. I saw a Seed Mat on eBay and it said that it was big enough for a standard size seed tray. I don't want to use a seed tray (I prefer the TP roll method), so my question is, what can I use to set my seeds on? Can I use any plastic tray or will it be too thick for the heat to penetrate? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have my TP rolls on extra deep plastic pot dishes. They are 8" deep and 10" around. They come in 10 difference sizes at Home Depot. They also come in 2 thicknesses. Find out the size of the mat you want and find a plastic container or tray like those and still use your TP rolls. You may just have to water more often.

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks!!! The mat I'm looking at will fit a 10 X 20 tray. I'll see what HD has. How many rolls can you fit into each pot opening? Or do you only put one in each?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thinner is better. Why not just get a seed tray -- you can still do your toilet paper rolls in it, instead of using the cell paks the tray is made for. About $1-2 at walmart or home depot or whatever, or ask friends/relatives for a spare.

Another possibility would be the thin plastic lids that takeout food comes in, if you know anyone who generates them. The purpose-made seed tray will probably work better, though, because it is sized/shaped to cover the whole heating mat and so you will have maximal space for your toilet paper tubes to occupy.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think part of my problem is that I don't know what these things are! :p I thought a seed tray was those pot-type things that you plant the seeds directly into. I have alot to learn! :rolleyes:

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sunnychooks said:
I had some trouble with my indoor seeds last year. My house is cool and I think it was just not warm enough. I saw a Seed Mat on eBay and it said that it was big enough for a standard size seed tray. I don't want to use a seed tray (I prefer the TP roll method), so my question is, what can I use to set my seeds on? Can I use any plastic tray or will it be too thick for the heat to penetrate? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
I use seedling heat mats; I love 'em and I bet the Ebay seller you looked at is the same guy I bought mine from - he's great! Those mats need to sit on thin plastic because they don't get that warm, they will raise the ambient air temp only 10- 20 degrees F.

You can still use TP rolls just place them in the seedling trays you can buy at Home Depot and Lowes. The cell inserts are removable so you can use TP rolls instead.

Phyllis

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! :)
I just ordered my seed mat! Can't wait to start those seedlings!
:watering