Seed potatoes

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right place. We are going to try our hand at fall harvest potatoes. However, trying to find a plant nursery that sells them now is not easy. I live in South East Kansas. Would anyone know where we could purchase some seed potatoes? We would like the Kenebecs (sp?) or pontiac reds. Or.......could we use some of the potatoes that we harvested out of our garden now?

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have bought seed potatoes from gurneys, Wood Prairie Farm and territorial Seed, all are online. If any of your potatoes sprout you can plant them. If you have a organic farmers market near you maybe you can get some there. Good Luck
:rainbow-sun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or.......could we use some of the potatoes that we harvested out of our garden now?
I tried this last year and I'll tell your real quick - it didn't work :(.

Caribe is an early, early potato and my reasoning was that I could harvest the potatoes and replant a few. They did come up - - this Spring :p.

I knew that if you leave potatoes in the ground after the foliage matures and dies back, the tubers may sprout. So, I was optimistic about having 2 crops in 1 year. Even asked a guy who grows spuds and sells at the farmers' market. He said, "I don't think it will work." But, since it was only 4 hills, I gave it a try.

I don't know what could have been done to encourage them to immediately start growing rather than hanging around for 9 months (yep, it took them that long to show up :rolleyes:). They acted like any "volunteers" I might have missed but this variety was especially early. Maybe if they laid out in the sun for 2 or 3 days . . . or spent a few days in the fridge . . . or .
:idunno

Steve

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Or.......could we use some of the potatoes that we harvested out of our garden now?
I tried this last year and I'll tell your real quick - it didn't work :(.

Caribe is an early, early potato and my reasoning was that I could harvest the potatoes and replant a few. They did come up - - this Spring :p.

I knew that if you leave potatoes in the ground after the foliage matures and dies back, the tubers may sprout. So, I was optimistic about having 2 crops in 1 year. Even asked a guy who grows spuds and sells at the farmers' market. He said, "I don't think it will work." But, since it was only 4 hills, I gave it a try.

I don't know what could have been done to encourage them to immediately start growing rather than hanging around for 9 months (yep, it took them that long to show up :rolleyes:). They acted like any "volunteers" I might have missed but this variety was especially early. Maybe if they laid out in the sun for 2 or 3 days . . . or spent a few days in the fridge . . . or .
:idunno

Steve
Steve, thanks for your response,
We are disappointed in this years crop. We harvested about the same as we planted. :( My DH harvested all of them, tilled the garden today, wants to add lime to the soil :idunno and try a fall harvest. We planted 50# and I'm sure if I were to buy that online with shipping and handling, I would be better off buying from the store ready to eat. I just wish we could find someone close by to buy seed potatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt if my local garden center has had seed potatoes for 6 or more weeks now. Some varieties were already gone when I went in about the middle of April.

As COgirl suggests, organically grown potatoes should not have been treated with sprout inhibitors. And, they may make useful seed. Perhaps you can pick up several pounds of organic potatoes at the supermarket and try them.

I don't know how growing potatoes in the fall works. I've grown late-maturing varieties planted in the spring that weren't ready to harvest until September but there have been many years when I didn't consider potatoes valuable enough to grow in my garden. Then all these unique varieties showed up and I went back to growing them. I have about 100 square feet planted to spuds this year - which isn't much out of gardens that amount to several thousand square feet. Still, I'm excited to see what they've produced.

The plants are large. I gave them a good side-dressing of organic fertilizer about 4 weeks ago and they really took off. Of course, I won't know what is out there until I show up with a spading fork in a week or 2.

Here's wishing you the Best of Luck in your efforts, Kricket.

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to try seed potatoes from the store this fall as well. I bought 20# from Seed Savers this year and got nothing. Mostly due to user error and the fact that I could not order them in time for my growing season. The earliest shipping date was mid march and my planting time was early feb.

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, my DH tilled the garden, added lime, and tilled again. He planted 50 mounds. We ended up using our tators we harvested over the weekend. :fl :fl

jemagsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have found that the potatoes you buy from Sam's club work really well at sprouting. I guess their farmers don't spray them? Every bag I have ever bought and not used all the potatoes from has sprouted. We're gonna try those, but not sure how well they'll do.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Kricket :frow
Uh maybe I'm missing something, but you replanted potatoes you just harvested this past weekend? Were they sprouted already? I'm not sure that they will grow if they aren't somewhat sprouted, I've only been growing potatoes for 4 years so I could be way wrong on this. Just curious :)

:rainbow-sun

Latest posts