Seeing a lot of tiny red spiders...

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think they are mites. We have had so much sun lately probably they thrive in the heat. We are usually inundated with ants :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mites used to show up in the hottest weather in the commercial greenhouse where I worked.

The pest season would start with aphids - cool, wet weather but warm enough for some bugs.

I have not found that the systematic insecticide that I use works except on contact. Contact sprays like insecticidal soap and neem oil killed the spider mites.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for your input :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have small red mites all over the place. i haven't noticed them actually doing any damage. there are a lot of mite species. some of them are mite predators themselves. before thinking they are a problem and treating them first verify that they are actually a problem. no need to complicate or treat something which isn't.

if you have a nearby woodland area where you can go and get a scoop of forest floor detritus you can perhaps introduce a more diverse mix of mites to your gardens. or in a really extreme case you can actually order predatory mites from a supplier.

as of yet i don't do a thing for them. i don't see signs of mite damage...

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
we have small red mites all over the place. i haven't noticed them actually doing any damage. there are a lot of mite species. some of them are mite predators themselves. before thinking they are a problem and treating them first verify that they are actually a problem. no need to complicate or treat something which isn't.

if you have a nearby woodland area where you can go and get a scoop of forest floor detritus you can perhaps introduce a more diverse mix of mites to your gardens. or in a really extreme case you can actually order predatory mites from a supplier.

as of yet i don't do a thing for them. i don't see signs of mite damage...
Thank you ;) , I like the wood collection idea, I will do that as soon as the weather changes. We had a little rain and it's been cold, and I haven't seen them since. Will do some collecting of bugs on our next walk.