Senna Flowering

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the senna plants I was playing around with (probably S. occidentalis, but might not be) has opened it's flowers. Much more tidy flowers than is normal with the standard Senna obtusifolia that has taken over my yard (from years of throwing leftovers there) Will have to see if there is still time for seed before the frosts come.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry forgot to upload

Attachments

• senna.jpg
    senna.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 238

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hard to believe that flower actually belongs to a legume, but it does (what we think of as a typical "bean" flower is in fact common only in the Papillodae subfamily of Fabacae. Senna is a member of the Caespaloidae group so this is typical (though some Caespaloids have flowers similar in appearance to Papilloids such as redbud)*)

*S. occidentalis and obtusifolia are also notable for having micopyles on their seeds, which is normally only found in members of the third subfamily of legumes, the Mimosodae (a micropyle is a ring shaped marking on each side of the seed that helps in water absorption. If you have any Mimosoid seed lying around (the commonest ones would probably be sensitive plant, silk tree, tamarind and, since you are in Texas, mesquite) they tend to be pretty obvious.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No tamarind or mesquite here, they are in the drier parts of Texas. But we have Mimosa. They grow like weeds, but I like them. I like them more on somebody else's property and wont plant them on our property. I love the delicate looking pink flowers and they smell good too. Mimosa wood is soft, but has a beautiful grain. We have several Redbuds on our place, I love them. I used to play with Mimosa seeds as a kid and remember those markings on them.

Latest posts