shotgun dirt

parsonswife

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site...while I've had a garden for several years, and was raised on a farm...I can tell you the land we live on...it's straight fromt the devil own backyard!:thun
Some call it shotgun, others call it "dirt that won't grow a dad-gummed thing!"
This is our second year here (my husband is a pastor)
We have been told that if you go to the local cotton gin and get a load of "gin trash", use this with the dirt you can grow some things....farmers grows fields of cotton, bean, and rice around here all the time...but they use lots of things to do it with...:tools
If you know the kind of dirt I'm talking about, and have any ideas...would be thrilled to know how to work it!:weight
I titled the dirt wrong...the locals around here call it "Buckshot"!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Think organic matter. Compost, well rotted manure, chopped leaves, grass clippings, anything you can work into the soil will improve the structure of the soil. Start a compost pile, for sure, but beg, borrow or steal (oops, you can't do that, can you? ;) ) some organic matter to spread around.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
even not-yet-well-rotted manure, if you happen to have a source. Just don't plan on planting into it right away.

Good luck,

Pat

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Every suggestion so far is great. If you drink coffee do not throw those used grounds away. Coffee grounds are a great soil amendment. Consider raising some kind of animal other than dogs or cats. Rabbits and chickens are real good to keep around for soil repair. Rabbits or chickens can be put in a movable cage. As you move them around yard they will fertilize different spots and add organic matter. Rabbit manure can be added straight to a garden without burning plants. Chickens can be freeranged as well as long as they have a suitable coop to go into. I have similar dirt in part of my yard due to a recent sewer project and my chickens are improving it considerably. Horse manure can be found for free in many areas but its a little weedy. Once you get an area where things will grow a little get some peas alfalfa or clover going. They will take nitrogen from air and fix it into your soil.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know where you are trying to garden but don't give up! :rainbow-sun If nothing else, you can bring soil in and grow your plants in raised beds.

Your complaints about he soil and the prospects for using cotton wastes sound like some of the things I've heard about Oklahoma. Apparently, some part of that state aren't very gardener-friendly.

This may be a resource for you. It is a page of links to online information from Oklahoma State University, Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources . They have information on using manures and other amendments with some additional site-specific help.

Steve

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know about in your area, but around here in the cities--they have curbside pickup of lawn and garden waste. They compost it, and you can buy it in large quantities. I have and will be getting some loads for my garden. I have a utilitiy trailer, so I pick it up myself, and a cubic yard goes for about $12-$14 if you pick it up yourself.

This is what I did when I started my small garden in my last home. since I will be starting another garden in this home, this is how I plan on starting it. Since I also have 'horse poop' at my disposal, I will also be mixing this into the existing clay soil.

Check out to see if yo can get some of this compost. It will be a great jump start, and you can always add your own compost to this existing base.

Just my two cents worth.

Latest posts