1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Member's New Trailer - The Tools & Supplies Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

should I buy storage containers?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Garden' started by Christopher Lillis, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Feb 12, 2019
    Christopher Lillis

Christopher Lillis Leafing Out

We are looking at buying a 20ft shipping container under a new workshop office that is to the side of the main workshop floor. There is no problem reinforcing the roof etc and digging into chalk on high ground so no problem with drainage also.
    Planning on sealing and wrapping the whole unit to prevent corrosion and will have an air vent to outside.
    The storage container is just to be used as a workshop store for consumables, chainsaws and all the things people like to nick. The plan is what people cannot see means they cannot take due to the concrete stair being hidden.
    Maybe we are going over the top but more and more neighbors get broken into and hoping this will help reduce the risk.
    Any ideas or experience to get this plan to work is appreciated.
    Thanks

ducks4you likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2019
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Ok, so you are going to bury it under an existing building, or next to it with entrance in the building? Either way, there will be an air vent poking up to alert a not-as-stupid thief that there is something under there. Need a way to disguise the air vent. I hate a thief. Is this in a commercial area of businesses with no one around at night?

ducks4you likes this.
  3. Feb 12, 2019
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

If I understand correctly, it will be below office? Could you just build a basement or will you store things too large to take down and need an outside entrance?

4. Feb 12, 2019
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

Your title is should you buy a 20' container. When I worked in the oil patch we would occasionally buy a 40' shipping container and convert it into a living quarters to be set on an offshore platform in Gulf of Mexico heat and humidity, subject to hurricanes. Sometimes we'd stack two. We had to put in a kitchen, dining, lounge, storage, office, bathroom, and bedrooms. It had to be wired and plumbed plus insulated and fireproofed, with human doors and a window or two. Quite a bit different from what you are planning. Management thought we could save money by converting a storage container, but with the conversion we really couldn't. What we saved was time. The point of all this is that the building itself was a tiny part of the overall costs. Before you commit to buying a container think about the total costs and how you would do some things. Some costs will be the same no matter how you do it but some will be unique to the container. Seed's comment about building a basement might not be that bad. Hide the stairwell entrance behind shelves.

The way I see it you would need to get the container transported to your location. You might want to add shelve or wiring before you put it in place. If you stock the shelves before you lift it into place, make sure the weight is still within limits of the padeyes and structure. It should have a safe lift weight on it somewhere. Do you need a spreader frame when you lift it or can the slings attach directly to the padeyes? Is there a minimum length and strength of sling? Whoever you are getting the container from should be able to help with that. You will need a crane big enough to handle it. Lifting those things loaded are standard so it is doable.

You will have to excavate a hole no matter what but how you seal it back up may be different. Chalk may be impervious but you don't want surface water getting in that hole around it. Will you need a sump pump or dehydrator? Holes in the ground tend to be damp. How will you support the weight of the office building above it?

Not sure how you are going to handle the door into the building. I'm not talking about your hidden entrance and stairs, but what does it look like at the foot of your stairs? Can you easily get in and out of that with our hands full? How convenient will it be to get things in and out. I think your convenience is a big part of how well it will work.

Should you buy that container? I don't know, it may be the perfect solution for you. Just think the whole process through.

5. Feb 12, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

upload_2019-2-12_11-22-46.jpeg

Hey I have an idea Christopher Lillis! How about starting a nursery business with a tennis court inside a storage container? (link, link, link)

Rhodie Ranch and so lucky like this.
  6. Feb 12, 2019
    dickiebird

dickiebird Garden Addicted

I'd buy it.

THANX RICH