Should I plant these this late

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went through my seed packets and thinking of planting list below. Is there anything that I should not start now? I was thinking of starting the cabbage and putting in the greenhouse. Also I have collards that just do not look healthy dark green. Is there anything I can do for them where they might get dark before freezing later?
Radishes
Swiss Chard
Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage.
Lettuce
Black Summer pac choi, direct seed or start in greenhouse?
Spinach
Turnip Topper
Tyron Holland Greens
Turnip Royal Crown.

is there anything else I could try? Too late for more summer squash? What about kale or collard greens, is it too late to start in greenhouse outside?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR, they look like good choices. I have only a few reservations ... mostly based on inexperience.

Radish ..? They aren't my favorite veggie but I'm pretty sure that I have tried them late. It seems like they didn't do well. Chard is fairly new to me. I have never planted it late.

Cabbage I have grown different varieties set out about the same time for harvest in different seasons. So, early, mid, and late. You have Jersey Wakefield, a nice choice for a quick early. I suppose, if any variety can be started now and harvested before heavy frost - Jersey Wakefield seems well worth a try.

I have grown Black Summer and bet that I have sown that seed right about now, along with earlier sow dates. I liked that variety! Since the turnips are related, my guess is that they may do well started now, although I don't know about root development.

Lettuce has not worked for me as a fall crop. It failed to grow during the hot weeks. Then, just sat there as cold weather took over. Spinach can over-winter, I've been assured many times. So, even if you can't harvest it this fall ... it should be available to you in 2019.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR, they look like good choices. I have only a few reservations ... mostly based on inexperience.

Radish ..? They aren't my favorite veggie but I'm pretty sure that I have tried them late. It seems like they didn't do well. Chard is fairly new to me. I have never planted it late.

Cabbage I have grown different varieties set out about the same time for harvest in different seasons. So, early, mid, and late. You have Jersey Wakefield, a nice choice for a quick early. I suppose, if any variety can be started now and harvested before heavy frost - Jersey Wakefield seems well worth a try.

I have grown Black Summer and bet that I have sown that seed right about now, along with earlier sow dates. I liked that variety! Since the turnips are related, my guess is that they may do well started now, although I don't know about root development.

Lettuce has not worked for me as a fall crop. It failed to grow during the hot weeks. Then, just sat there as cold weather took over. Spinach can over-winter, I've been assured many times. So, even if you can't harvest it this fall ... it should be available to you in 2019.

Steve

Thank you! Going to take some work to get this done. This doctor told me to roast tons of vegetables and really I have not cooked them that way, but I have been roasting a few things, and I like it, so I can see where I can use up a lot of vegetables and even DS will eat some of this. I even roasted a tomato and liked it. I guess this is healthy?

Latest posts