Show off your pumpkins

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
pumpkins 2015.jpg
This is the first time I had luck with the weird warty pumpkins. Had fun with my 3 Grandsons picking the ripe ones. They were so excited.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown the 'warty' orange ones like the one you show near the bottom of your photo, and I have grown the white "lumens". Never had warts on my white ones though.

You have a nice selection of pumpkins there. I'll bet those grands were happy.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love to grow pumpkins, with my fave being the Rouge Vif d'Etampes, which I grew this year....sort of. Usually they germinate well and grow easily and are resistant to most things but this year was not a banner garden year for me with all my changes, so I had one pumpkin plant come up and survive.....with one lonely pumpkin. :barnie

The plant itself is up and running all over the top of my fence like crazy, with bloom galore...but one lone pumpkin, small for this type of gourd, was pressed up against the fence. The chickens found it....pecked a good size hole in the skin. I moved it away from the fence so they couldn't get at it, but such was the fate of my one, lonely pumpkin...still growing out there.

Alas, such is the nature of my pumpkin...too small and marred to show off. :gig

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you have plenty of time for your plant to set more pumpkins.
Smart. I don't know if the warts are good for eating. What do you think?

Pumpkins were the plant that started my gardening addiction as a little girl. I did not see any pumpkins growing until the frost hit and a dozen pumpkins showed through the foliage. Hooked!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, you have pumpkins! I didn't know that. Those are nice looking ghosts pumpkins.

What other veggies/fruits do you grow (besides peaches)?

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great pumpkins!!!

I love growing them too. The warty white ones are wild! I've got some pumpkins I'm still letting develop and are but I have a MONSTER blue Hubbard squash that my kids flipped over.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not a pumpkin but let's see how the cellphone did with this morning's picture of a La Madera squash:
IMG_20150820_062934025.jpg

Pocket knife obscured by leaf.

The pumpkins have been at a disadvantage. Twice, when that real hot June weather hit, their sprinkler failed. There was also some squash at that end of the garden but not the La Madera.

BTW, do you see the "weed" in the distance? That is a celosia volunteer ... about 100ft from where the celosia grew in 2014.

:) Steve