Shrub needed that blooms in mid March in zone 6/7

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can never remember if we are zone 6 or 7. A friend of the family died this week and he was a plant lover. I would like to get the family a shrub or very small tree that would bloom around his birthday, which is March 18. It should also tolerate some shade. I thought of witch hazel but I think it may be a little too early. Any suggestions?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Forsythia?(sp) Always an early sign of spring and a new beginning.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bid said:
I was also thinking Forsythia, although it spreads really fast via suckers and it needs to be cut back yearly to be manageable, so if the recipient is not likely to do that I'd get something else.

Euphorbia Serrata (also called Cushion Spurge) is an early spring perennial in our zone 6 garden that maintains a nice e mounded shape and requires little care. It has blue green leaves and acid yellow bracts in early spring and is very cheerful when really nothing else is green.

cushion-spurge-1.jpg

Phyllis

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about Broom -- sorry I can't remember the Latin name at the moment! Old age & senility setting in........!! :old :old :old :idunno

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have remembered now....! :D It's Genista ; it blooms quite early in my garden. I have a bright yellow one & a deep cream version. I have them planted together & they look stunning. They seem to keep their flowers for ages. But I would check that they come out at the right time in your area.

Hope this helps. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not sure what flowers so soon where you are from, but down here I always have adored Flowering Quince. It is always the first to show here and has such a vibrant color.

Wishing you Luck!

Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
I'm used to seeing that and my pear tree in bloom before April. Its the most common then it is followed by the Dogwood, then Azeala (all our spring blooms are now done).

We're in Zone 7... just remember to keep looking for something fun, but make sure it is right 100% for your zone and soil type!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! I guess I can think about it over the summer as I will probably have to wait until fall for planting now.

Latest posts