Silly Dill Question??

OHChick

Sprout
Reaction score
hi there, this year i am lucky to have some herbs doing well. but my dill.... ugh. the plants are growing tall but have little blooms all over them. i am used to the leafy, fern-like parts. can i use the 'flower' parts? did i miss their prime? i feel like a dolt asking this question but i really don't know.

thanks in advance.

:watering

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The frilly foliage is used as dill weed, the seeds are also used, so it depends on what you wanted. Let some go to seed, some more may germinate this season for you, but be careful, they're vigorous self-sowers, so unless you want tons of dill next spring cut most of it out now before the seeds fall.

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think it depends on the variety you plant. Mammoth dill grows huge heads for pickling but little foliage. Fern-leaf dill gets plenty of "leaves" but a puny head. I usually grow some of each kind.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :happy_flower
I find that as well as growing the two different kinds of dill I also sow a succesion of them -- fewer seeds but more often. I do the same for chervil & coriander. It works well for me :thumbsup Hope it helps :frow

Enjoy the SPRING, plant well & then you can sit back & enjoy the summer watching everything grow!! :ya :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts