Reaction score
G'morning.
Grateful for growing pains,
Grateful for the lines on my face,
Grateful for the crick in my neck,
Grateful for hot showers,
Grateful for broken coffee machines,
Grateful for the thumbs typing this,
Grateful for another day alive at the same time as you.
~ Lin-Manuel Miranda

He isn't 40!! But, that's okay :).

I had a thought on aging as I put my morning baked apple on the tv-tray in front of the lazy-boy: I resented having to sit down knowing that I would be getting up in a few minutes for the granola and banana.

In the winter, I often resent the results of having sat too long but ... it's new that I don't want to sit down, at all.

Old rockin' chair's got me, my cane by my side
Fetch me that gin, son, 'fore I tan your hide
Can't get from this cabin, goin' nowhere
Just set me here grabbin' at the flies round this rockin' chair.

;) Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's funny Steve. Just yesterday I was doing something (building raised beds) that would be easier to do if I squatted down instead of bending over but then I'd have to get back up. Bending over has its challenges too, especially to the back of the thighs. Sometimes I squatted, sometimes I bent. This morning I hurt.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to give Garbanzo the Dog a bath, yesterday. She hates it but it isn't so tough for me. At 7#, I just have to be real gentle at handling her but she's a tough little dog.

Me, not so much ... Kneeling by the tub is okay but then I have to get up again. While cleaning the tub once, my soapy hands once slipped and dropped me nose-first as I was trying to assist myself with standing. Luckily, I didn't quite hit the bottom of the tub!

Well, with Garbanzo ... I have to hold onto her in her towel so that she won't go racing off, shaking! No problem with carrying a 7# dog in one hand. But, that leaves me with one wet hand to assist me with standing ... careful balance and attention.

Dad has some problems with sitting and standing; it's not surprising. I think that it mostly has to do with his knees.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha :gig
You don’t know DW!

She would have an absolute conniption fit if she saw that.

NyBoy, :hugs Thanks for the thought and concern.

Steve

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I was about 8 months pregnant with my son I squatted down in front of the stove to put more sticks in and got stuck. I couldn't get up, no matter how I tried. I called a vastly amused (now ex) DH to help me up and said to him I feel like one of our cows, Umzi, who was due to calve any day at that time… DH replied "You look like Umzi" And there I was, stuck in a squat and unable to get up and hit him! Being physically challenged is hard...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have sketchy knees and have worn a brace regularly on my left from an injury where I shredded my ACL. Now my "good" knee has been giving me pain and at times it needs the support of a brace.

It's a mystery to me how they can both be good for stretches of time and I don't need to brace them, or take ibuprofen for the pain.

I have noticed since I started riding again that my left knee is much stronger from mounting.

My sister just had a knee replaced and was diligent about the pre and post op exercises.
She told me to look them up and do them because she noticed an improvement in her knees before her surgery just from the focused exercise. So I've been doing them now and have also noticed a difference. :)

I believe the muscles surrounding the knee, and all the leg muscles, as they develop more strength are doing a better job of keeping my knee joints in the correct alignment and lessening the wear and tear on bone and meniscus.

One of the exercises I do is "sit to stand".
From a seated position in a hard chair you rise, then sit. Repeat until it burns.

I'm hoping to avoid a knee replacement, and that's good incentive for me.

Latest posts