slightly-runny REALLY GOOD strawberry jam recipe

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forget who was looking for a soft set strawberry jam recipe, but I made this over the weekend and it may be the sort of thing you're looking for. Because it does not cook the fruit for a long time (substitutes longer periods of standing), the flavor is very "fresh strawberry". It's from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard. Note that (as per the book's title) it only makes a small quantity, but as with any preserving type recipe it would probably be a bad idea to double it -- make two simultaneous batches if you want a larger quantity.

4 C firm strawberries, halved or quartered depending on size
2 C granulated sugar
1/4 C lemon juice

mix berries and sugar and let stand for 8 hrs, stirring occasionally.

place berry mixture in medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. add lemon juice, return to boil and boil rapidly for 5 min. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand at room temperature for 24 hrs

Bring berries to a full boil over high heat and boil rapidly for 5 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. (You can let stand 5 min. at this point if you want to discourage fruit from floating)

Ladel into hot (sterilized) jars and process for 10 min in boiling water bath as per normal canning procedure.

makes 2 1/2 cups

Have fun,

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, I wasn't the one who asked, but I do have to do something with our strawberries immediately.

A heat wave hit (It's 108 as I type.) :th and it will be hotter tomorrow, and hotter yet on Wednesday.

Bad for the fires, bad for the strawberries. So I've got to do something with what we have. This sounds good! :) (Read that as: I'll be canning at 3 A.M., because I'd rather feed them to the chickens than turn the stove on right now!!)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Hope you don't have to work tomorrow so you can sleep off your canning hangover. :lol:

Dodgegal79

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Its was me!! Thank so much, I' making jam this weekend with my sister, we will try it.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
...... It's from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard. Note that (as per the book's title) it only makes a small quantity, but as with any preserving type recipe it would probably be a bad idea to double it -- make two simultaneous batches if you want a larger quantity.....
Hey Pat - I just got that book (since there's only two of us here at the house at the moment)! I was hoping someone had tested some of the recipes! Thanks for posting this.

Latest posts