Slow Start

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I reported on our weather on the Weather thread:

The Weather Service has crunched some local numbers:

"The recent stretch of cold weather set records for the coldest 7 day stretch of weather for the month of April. Average temperatures for many locations were only in the mid 30 ..."

Average. It wasn't terribly cold overnight. I believe that only one location (about 150 miles away) had a single daily record low. The days have just not warmed because of overcast skies. Air movement has been mostly out of the mountains, often from the north.

Our common Pacific Northwest spring weather was/is here towering over the landscape with clouds, clouds and more clouds! Depending on sunshine, the greenhouse has not afforded a very good growing space.

We visited a friend's greenhouse, Friday. It was the same story. Supplemental lighting sure could have helped. Several more days of this.

Steve
Okay, so here I am over on the Propagation Forum saying -- if there was a Time for Supplemental Lighting -- Spring 2022 Would Have Been IT!

I had an 8' fluorescent light set up for the South Window, a couple of seasons. Then, the room was remodeled including a new ceiling and I did not want to bring the light into the house again. I also had that light in the greenhouse - once, I think it was. What a bother. The goings-on in the greenhouse involves more activity and bigger plants, bigger containers taking up more room. The light was constantly in the way.

This year, I am paying a price for not setting up the light somewhere. Or, the plants are. @AMKuska , tells us about the slow growth of her peppers. Three hundred miles away, I don't want to compare.

So often, I've started peppers and tomatoes maybe a little too early and had trouble finding room for the plants by May - almost willing to try to slow their growth. There just isn't much consistency in relying on Spring sunlight. Record low temperature averages meant very, very little sunlight. Climate Change? Well, how about just over the last 10 months? Okay, that's not Climate but we went from the highest temperatures ever recorded in the area (June 2021) with blazing sunshine to the lowest average temperatures for days and days with the "clouds, clouds and more clouds!" Good Goobly Goop. Sunlight Extremes!

There are probably some measures of Winter/Spring sunlight and the PNW at this latitude rates very poorly, I've read. The plants have about a month to catch up to amounting to something. Only about half the time has the weather been good enough to set the warm-season plants out before the 3rd week of May. Keep your fingers crossed for them, please 🤞. Oh, and it isn't just the warm-season plants but we have the hoop house for quite a few of the cool-season plant starts so some of them are already in there and they can take things a little better, coddled along. Quite a few of them will not have to hit-the-ground-running in the open garden.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The heat was turned off in the greenhouse at 8:30am yesterday when it was 64°f in there. It promptly fell to 60° :) (18°, 16°C).

When there was finally some clearing of the clouds at 4pm, the unheated greenhouse rose to 67°(19C).

By 3:15 this morning, the temperature was down to 45° (7C) in there and I turned the heat back on. It was below freezing outdoors with the crescent moon shining brightly. I didn't used to allow this cold of a temperature in there but I am now the thermostat ;).

We will see how much sunlight occurs.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather is miserable, but my peppers are under some pretty good lights. I didn't have them low enough however, and it turns out the rat in my garage may have been browsing on the pepper tops. >_> My new starts are doing just fine, although this could be due to a variety of reasons including better draining soil, the lower lights, or I'm suspicious the new seedling cups I tried were not good for pepper seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I up-potted some more tomato plants.

Encouraged by a few things: It was sunny until late afternoon (then, it rained and hailed for a few minutes). The few tomatoes that I moved out of a cookie box several days ago looked okay. Yesterday's seedlings had good roots!

Okay, it looks like I will be soon able to start moving peppers and more of the tomatoes.

I have those first tomatoes good and soaked and will put some organic fertilizer in their 4-packs to encourage some growth. A half teaspoon or so and since they have all the water they need already, they should take those nutrients in slowly.

Only 2 days of sunshine predicted and those older ones should be able to enjoy it fully. The new guys are mostly in the shade of a milk crate. Pampering is no longer what I want to be doing but there's no choice. Think that I can take my frustrations out on the lawngrass and mow. Sure, if anything can grow in these low outdoor temperatures it's lemongrass ... well, the daffodils season is lasting very well and the tulips have begun to bloom. Grape hyacinth everywhere!

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first moved seedlings, in 4-packs, are ..

, looking better!

Tomorrow, I will get some fertilizer on the 23 April group (which included more peppers than tomatoes). They have "survived" their move and it will be time to move some more peppers.

Steve

Latest posts