Small Irrigation Systems

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As I sit here watching the rain, I'm wondering if I should make changes to my irrigation system. I use a timer on an outside spigot which pressurizes 1/2" poly. From the 1/2", I used microdrip emitters, 1/4" drip tape, and 1/4" soaker hose etc. to irrigate individual plants or rows of plants (vegetable garden only.) Automated irrigation contributed to my first reliably productive garden, so I'm definitely going to keep it around.

Problems:

1. The battery operated faucet timers, while cost effective, are not reliable having had broken valves which stayed OPEN, and valves which just stopped working. Does anyone have a better solution without getting into a lawn irrigation scale system? I really do want the lawn system, though... to use to open and close the chicken coop. :p

2. Leaky - not really a big deal but wasteful. The water leaks pretty badly from where the 1/4 branches off of the 1/2" (slug heaven.) Occasionally, I'll find a micro valve with the stem missing and water squirting into the air. Is there a better way to tap the 1/2" line?

3. The soaker hose clogs. It looks like the market solved this... I don't see it available anymore. Drip tape seems like a better solution.

4. Filtration... I know that my well water is laden with sediment which is bad for drip irrigation. Anyone using a drip system with a prefilter designed for the drippers? What works for you?

Latest posts