Small Tree Suggestions?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So we're looking to redo the front garden and need some suggestions for small trees.

Criteria:
1. Will be close to the house, within 10 feet, so roots need to be considered.

2. Shouldn't grow too tall since it's more of an accent piece than anything else.

3. Preferably would flower or change color in fall

4. Zone consideration for zone 8

I was considering Japanese Red Maple Acer palmatum atropurpureum, a dwarf apple, chinese magnolia Michelia doltsopa

Any suggestions are welcome!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No recommendations for trees as I haven't the faintest clue what does well in your climate :p (although, are you sure a japanese maple would be ok in that hot an area that close to a heat-reflecting house? dunno), but I did want to say hey, welcome back!!! Good to see you again. Hope the dissertation is going (or went!) well!

Cheers,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am a japanese maple fan, and I love my crepe myrtles!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll not offer a suggestion as to tree types for your situation for the same reason Pat mentioned.. I suggest you talk to your county extention agency office (should be in the phone book under county government) for what does well in your climate and under those conditions.

I will relate an experience I had. When I moved into a house in the New Orleans suburbs many years ago, the previous owner had planted two juniper trees right next to the house. Some branches overhung the house and the needles lay on the shingles. This held enough moisture for termites to set up residence under my roof. I'd advise against any tree positioned that can have limbs on the roof, put a layer of leaves or needles on the roof, or keep your gutters filed with leaves, which hold moisture.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks!

Thanks for the welcome Pat, although I wish I was *back*, seeing with the classes I'm now teaching, kids, chickens, gardens and a new house time for the simple pleasures of the Easy Garden Forum is growing less and less.

Dissertation is going well. Finishing up this summer. One last trip to Baja California and I'm through!

Thanks
carlos