Smelly rose?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would like to get some roses. I want a bush type rose but here is the problem. Everytime I have been shopping for them they have no smell to the flowers. What type of rose bush has that awesome rose smell?

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You will have to get an "old fashion" rose for the best smells. Some floribundas have smell, some teas, and some David Austins. What you will have to do is go to a rose website and read descriptions and it will tell type of smell then go hunt for the one you want. These days most don't have the smell. I have 8 bushes and went for only those with smell. I have used Jackson and Perkins to order many times and been real pleased with their product. I like ordering online and their descriptions are pretty accurate. They have some of the old roses. Expect to pay for $12-30 according to what you get.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the older cultivars are more aromatic. Peace and Blazehave a great smell. A large rose nursery will list the more perfumed varieties.
HunkieDorie23 said:
I would like to get some roses. I want a bush type rose but here is the problem. Everytime I have been shopping for them they have no smell to the flowers. What type of rose bush has that awesome rose smell?

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Angel Face is a light-purple/mauve rose that has a wonderful scent. We have a couple in our rose garden that we can smell from our patio chairs 20 feet away.

Mr Lincoln is a velvety red rose with a great old-fashioned rose scent.

Queen Elizabeth is a classic pink rose with huge blooms and a pleasant rose scent.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just love the David Austin roses. They are the old fashioned english types that have very perfumey scents.

Mary

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, my grandmother had the best smelling garden roses. That is what I am going for.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My favorite is the Rugosa Rose. More commonly known as "Beach Rose" around these parts. They are rugged, hold up to wind and nasty elements. They are a bright pink and there is a white variety as well. They are vigorus and smell so heavenly!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
My favorite is the Rugosa Rose. More commonly known as "Beach Rose" around these parts. They are rugged, hold up to wind and nasty elements. They are a bright pink and there is a white variety as well. They are vigorus and smell so heavenly!
Ditto that!

Latest posts