Smoke Tree

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a search on this forum for what we call a smoke tree. Have you heard of them? It came with the house and I've spend one winter so far, pruning it into a nice shape for the front yard. I have 2- 3' tall volunteers planted in Lowes pots, and 3 more similar size ones to dig up this coming winter. That size goes for about $50 at Lowes, so maybe I can sell some at my fall garage sale? Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• DSCN2456.JPG
    DSCN2456.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 36,667
  • DSCN2457.JPG
    DSCN2457.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,842

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love Smoke trees Murphy! One of my favorite landscape shrubs because they are so amenable to pruning. You can make it a multi trunked tree, or keep them as small shrubs. Beautiful foliage too. When the light is behind them they just glow!
I have Royal purple, Golden Spirit and Grace. The Grace I'm growing out to be a small patio tree and the others are going to remain shrubs. The only thing I can fault them for is being so slow to leaf out in the spring here. They are one of the last things to grow out.
If you pollard them to shrub form you don't get the "smoke" bloom, but that doesn't bother me. I actually prefer them to be clean foliaged all season.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a purple smoke bush. As @thistlebloom has stated, there are many varieties of smoke trees. I think they are beautiful in bloom and stay 'smokey' for a long time into the summer. I like the appearance of bloom long after the flowers are gone.

I have both a purple and a green smoke tree. The green one has been a disappointment. It doesn't 'smoke' well at all. If the tree had as many billowing clouds of blooms as it has suckers, it would be far improved.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
But boy are they messy when they drop their smoke! Stuff everywhere! Thanks for the education - I didn't know much about it till you all.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You sure did a nice job pruning it. It's beautiful. Those are very popular around here and I've seen them priced around $80 at the nursery.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My friend did the same with red maples at her sale, sold every one 1st day. I would also list them on craigs list. I don't think you will get anywhere near price of nursery.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great job it looks fantastic!

I'd sell what you can because even if it's 1/2 the sale price at Lowes it's practically all profit considering what you have invested.

Latest posts