Snapdragons and violas

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
IMG_0012.JPG
Merry Christmas guys! Here in AL, we were a balmy 76 degrees today! Needing a bit of fresh air, I decided to head outside to check on my violas and snapdragons. I noticed that a few of the snapdragons and violas were wilted and dying. I'm wondering if maybe a cold snap got them? The snapdragons are growing like crazy, but aren't blooming. Violas are producing insane amounts of seeds and spreading like crazy. I can't figure out the few dead ones though. Any thoughts? And finally, a pic of my very cheery violas blooming in their bed. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 172

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would probably be the least likely to understand the winter growing in Alabama but I really like thinking a violas and snaps :).

Here are guesses. They are probably short-lived perennials even in the best of situations. Many plants are influenced by the length of daylight. I wonder how those specific varieties would do in the tropics, say at different elevations in the Andes. Perhaps, daylength changes are important for their lifecycles.

Finally, I seldom start viola plants in the greenhouse. When I have, they were the very first! Snapdragons are the first most years. Tiny seedlings that can grow in cool conditions and slowly, warm or cool. I hope there will soon be lots of gardeners joining you in having those plants.

@KD_Olive , it's nice to think about having them again, soon.

Steve

Latest posts