Snapshot around roses?

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I take care of a hug rose garden, and now since all the wonderful rain, we have WEEDS!!!! I started using Preen, but got Snapshot, but it doesn't say roses on it, has anyone else used it around roses? Thanks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know about Snapshot. Preen works to stop weed seeds from growing. It interferes with proper germination. Once the soil is moved, the "Preen" effect will stop unless re-applied.

You would have to read the info about Snapshot. Does it prevent weeds or kill weeds?

To kill weeds already growing, you could get an herbicide, cut the weeds growing around the roses as low as you can, then paint the herbicide on the weeds, being careful not to get any on rose leaves.

Nyboy likes to put a bucket over the plant he's protecting and spray everything NOT inside the bucket. That works if there is sufficient space around and between your roses.

You could also put brown grocery bags (several layers of newspaper also work) down over the weeds and cover with straw mulch. That would safely kill the weeds, prevent new weed growth, and protect the roses from drying out. Win win win!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know about Snapshot. Preen works to stop weed seeds from growing. It interferes with proper germination. Once the soil is moved, the "Preen" effect will stop unless re-applied.

You would have to read the info about Snapshot. Does it prevent weeds or kill weeds?

To kill weeds already growing, you could get an herbicide, cut the weeds growing around the roses as low as you can, then paint the herbicide on the weeds, being careful not to get any on rose leaves.

Nyboy likes to put a bucket over the plant he's protecting and spray everything NOT inside the bucket. That works if there is sufficient space around and between your roses.

You could also put brown grocery bags (several layers of newspaper also work) down over the weeds and cover with straw mulch. That would safely kill the weeds, prevent new weed growth, and protect the roses from drying out. Win win win!
The brown paper bags work for some weeds, but NOT for those that spread by underground runners such as crab grass, etc.... We purchased a house where most of the plants were dead. So I removed them including a dead rose. A few weeks later the dead rose started to regrow from a section of it's roots. My wife didn't want it, so I sprayed it with roundup. Nothing happened , so I resprayed it. It continued to thumb up it's nose at me , so I dug it up including the root. I am NOT recommending that you spray roundup to control weeds among the roses, just stating the fact that roundup did NOT kill my " dead rose". :idunno

Last edited: