So Embarrassing

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought would be to google a better chair. That's a short term fix and doesn't require a lot of willpower. Instead of cute, trendy, or fashionable, look at how strong it is and how well made. I have personal experience with furniture that is fashionable but not well enough made to handle anyone sitting in it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know those packable lawn chairs that come with a carry sleeve? After a 350lb person sits in one, it is permanently disfigured.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hated all folding chairs when I weighed more. I was terrified they would break when I sat in them. I would stand all day so as not to break anything! I once sat down in one of those old aluminum numbers with the web straps and was dangling by my armpits and I was much lighter then (rotten webbing/old chairs) Still everyone got such a good laugh. :oops:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still not funny when you are the one being laughed at.
And those plastic stackable patio chairs...That plastic degrades after a few years in the weather. I would think they would be a hazard.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Embarrassing for sure, but at least you weren't hurt. I, too, am leery of the garden chairs of others. I have safe and sturdy outdoor seating here at home. Even 60 pounds lighter and I find myself standing rather than sit in a questionable (for me) chair.

The others are correct, Nyboy, chairs do break down in time either from the sun's effects or from glues drying out and weakening the joints. Son recently lost his favorite (probably an antique) chair when a skinny young thing, and friend of Maverick, started goofing off in it. Son had just repaired the metal work and was so pleased. Now he's wondering if he can use parts of the chair to assemble one he can use. Sigh!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Embarrassing for sure, but at least you weren't hurt. I, too, am leery of the garden chairs of others. I have safe and sturdy outdoor seating here at home. Even 60 pounds lighter and I find myself standing rather than sit in a questionable (for me) chair.

The others are correct, Nyboy, chairs do break down in time either from the sun's effects or from glues drying out and weakening the joints. Son recently lost his favorite (probably an antique) chair when a skinny young thing, and friend of Maverick, started goofing off in it. Son had just repaired the metal work and was so pleased. Now he's wondering if he can use parts of the chair to assemble one he can use. Sigh!
:hit

Latest posts