So, what likes my jalapeno pepper plant so much?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden is off to a good start. I've got all my favs planted and now that the snails are, I think, irradicated, things are growing nicely all except my one and only jalapeno pepper plant. I've got red and yellow bell pepper plants, anaheim pepper plants, okra, squash, cucs, tomatoes, pole beans, beets and onions all growing without anybody feasting on them. Something has stripped my jalapeno pepper plant to nothing but stem. I have it planted at the opposite end of the garden from my bell peppers. I've put sevin dust and snail bait on it. I guess I just figured that the leaves of the plant would also be "hot" and nothing would bother it. It is my only casualty now. I'm gonna go out now and put a mesh screen over it (usually used to keep bugs off food at picnics) and hope that this all helps. It is valiantly trying to put out new leaves.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are they bits holding on; skeletonized, or literally not there in any way, shape, or form?

Boy, that's a shame! I sure hope the culprit is found, so you can take measures against future munchings!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When you go out to put your mesh over it take 3 wood stick matches with you. Go out about 3 inches from the stem and shove them in the ground head first. The sulfur in the match head will help them recover and the stick itself will keep the cut worms away.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Hot Banana Peppers and Yellow Squash this spring. Nothing but stem was left. I finally saw the little culprit - a little rabbit :rolleyes: that lived under the porch of the barn. I used bird netting over the squash and eventually the peppers leafed back out.

melgsix

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Our rabbit did the same thing to our hot peppers. Everyone at the feed store and the pet store kept saying that animals won't eat the hot pepper plants but every time we let him out of the cage he would go straigt for the peppers.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This morning i noticed three pepper plants in my garden had been munched down to the stem with the leaf spines sticking out like some sort of sadistic christmas tree. The garden was littered with familiar little turds.

yesterday a stray dog was running down the street with a dead rabbit in its mouth. I fear some irresponsible pet owner has unleashed rabbits that they no longer wanted lose in the neighborhood. rabbits are not indigenous to Puerto Rico. I sure hope all the stray dogs and cats around here earn my tolerance by eradicating the pests. then they need to stay out of my yard away from my own caged rabbits.

Latest posts