Soil For Potatoes

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always used my own soil for growing potatoes, which is wonderful for them, as it's sandy loam.

This year I'm growing some in the big garden, (vs. my kitchen garden etc.), and some in containers.

The containers ended up being larger than I think I can get soil for, without making a mess (oops), so someone gave us a truckload of well aged mushroom compost and horse manure.

Now I'm concerned that I'll encourage potato scab, and/or have beautiful plants, and little in the way of tubers. (I'm only concerned about the ones in the containers.) That the compost/manure is aged reassures me a little on the lush growth, but the potato scab is a worry.

I've wondered if I can put in some of our soil, though it's acres away....or if that would even help.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I've got 6 varieties cut and getting ready to go in.

Thanks! :watering

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mushroom compost seems to usually be very alkaline so not a good choice for potatoes.

Horse manure is a good source of organic matter for your soil and keeps a good source of nitrogen in the soil, when applied in large quantities. IMO

That being said, potatoes seem to prefer a soil level in the 5.0-5.5 range. This also reduces the possibility of potato scab. Light, soils full of organic matter also seem to help potato scab develop.

I would say that your best bet is to get some of your regular garden soil and plant them in that. Use the compost you got for a fertilizer. Too bad to. Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink. ;)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I've been thinking since earlier, and there's no way to fill all the large containers with the garden soil.

As I see it, I can grow a couple of containers only, and the rest will just have to be planted in the garden. I'd been hoping to try one of each variety up here by the house to follow their growth, vigor etc.

Only one variety is natural, not certified organic, so it's elected to stay here, while the others go to the garden.

That said, I can get part sandy loam for the container, part compost, and was thinking maybe some of our azalea/rhodie mixes for the balance. That's full of peat....in fact, I have 6 bales of peat.

It was so nice of them to give this compost to us, I just wish it could have completely solved my potato growing issue. But, I've been thinking about the pool someone else has, and know someone with one that they will being putting in a garage sale. If I get it, fill it with compost, and plant more seeds..... :D

It would have been nice to use the horse manure for the soil in the garden, but no, that was never even an option. We have specific composts and such we use there, as it must be allowed.

Well, thanks for your thoughts.....now to go get myself a pool! lol! :happy_flower

*If life gives you manure.....grow more plants!* ; ) (Definitely my signature line for a while! lol!)

Latest posts