Soil testing

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started my master gardener classes last week and I am loving them!
The assignment for this week was to bring in soil and water samples to test in class.
I brought samples from all 3 of my gardens plus from around the fruit trees I planted last year.
EEEKKKK! i don't have a bit of soil on this property that has anywhere near enough nutrients to grow healthy ANYTHING! lol
I was honestly shocked. I thought my soil in my main garden was pretty decent and that the new stuff we brought in for the other 2 was good. NOT!
So I am telling eveyine GET A SOIL TEST NOW!!!! lol

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Chicken Poo all the way!!! I added a lot of grass clippings too, but have not tested mine yet. I even work in the same building as our local cooperative extension, and all I would have to do is go down one floor and there they are. I may have to do that soon, no excuse.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
we did one .. and everything was pretty good but the nitrogen..

so... what do you add for nitrogen?
I just saw this agin...Yep
Chicken poop! :D Or a fertilizer with a high first # (N) and not so much in the P & K

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this might be a dumb question but where/how do you get your soil tested? Is there at home kits or do you have to take it somewhere?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lnm03 said:
this might be a dumb question but where/how do you get your soil tested? Is there at home kits or do you have to take it somewhere?
There are home tests but the best way is to go to your Cooperative Extension office.
Take samples from a bunch of different spots in your garden and mix them together. Spread the soil out on newspaper and let it dry thoroughly. Take about a cup or so to your extension office and they will send it out. There is a minimal charge for the service.

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lnm03 said:
I had mine tested by UMass. Their soil testing is much less expensive than our local labs. $9 for PH, nutrients and heavy metals. It took less than two weeks and they gave recommendations on how to improve the soil. I would of never guessed that our soil is great in everything except phosphorus.

http://www.umass.edu/plsoils/soiltest/soilbrochdec2003.pdf

Latest posts