Some People Hate Tofu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I haven't made any with the saved soybeans from summer. I'd really prefer not, and use the fresh soybeans as edamame. Several years ago and once or twice since, I did this: Tofu!

There's a picture on that thread of what we had today - from store bought. I remember doing this before; I went searching on the interwebs for my recipe. Yeah, I'm lazy about retyping it here.

Anyway, I couldn't find it even yet! What came closest had a comment from a lady who said that she was surprised that her boyfriend liked the first tofu recipe she tried but not the one that was close to mine :\! She said that they agreed that with the first, neither of them could taste the tofu ...

Well, tofu doesn't have much flavor. I don't know if I really like it but - I like what we had today. I can't think of another way that we've eaten tofu over the last 20 years and it isn't quite the same as what the lady's boyfriend hated. Oh yeah, you've gotta like mushrooms, and here I go with the keyboard ;)!

Red Tofu and Mushrooms

1 ½ Tablespoons peanut oil
1 cup quartered shiitake mushrooms
2 cups quartered button mushrooms
½ cup green onions
1 garlic clove, minced

1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
5 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

1 (12.3 ounce) package etrafirm silken tofu, drained and cut into ½ inch cubes

1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons water

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Stir in broth, soy sauce, and sugar. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tofu.

Combine the cornstarch, water, and vinegar, stirring well with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to broth mixture, stirring well; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Serve over rice.

Okay - sans, typos - that's about it. I use 4 Tablespoons of sauce and not all of it straight soy. "Mandarin sauce" was used today and I left out the sugar because whatever Mandarin sauce is, it's pretty sweet :). I like different sauces and I like mushrooms and together, I like this! I seem to remember years ago that I was curious about the "Red" part. In my search today, I found some red tofu curries. I looked and one had ketchup in it ..! I'll pass on that, thanks. Anyway, if you find tofu - okay - and like mushrooms, the Red Tofu and Mushrooms is pretty good. You may even want to grow soybeans and make tofu yourself ;)!

Steve

Latest posts