Some Thing Ate Ducks Eggs

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I did not believe the eggs had a very good chance of hatching, I was disappointed to find some creature ate them. The eggs where laid in a corner of a chain link pen, pen inside 6 ft wooden fence. Stolen eggs where eaten inches away from nest right on other side of fence, They where broken. I believe raccoon reached in and grab egg one by one. Even though in city wildlife is raccoon, shrunk, possum, rat, squirrel, chipmunk, hawk coyote, fox, cat and dog. I think only squirrel and chipmunk can fit though chain link. 6th fence keeps out k9 predators. Who do you think my egg eater is ? 3 eggs still left as of today

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you take a photo? Skunks, possum, and raccoons can climb but you said it was right outside of the fence so probably no climbing involved. Does that area have a top? Can they dig under it? When a skunk eats an egg they crack it in half and lick out the egg, it kind of looks like chicks or ducklings hatched out of them. A possum smashed them to smithereens. Not sure how a raccoon does it.

It's kind of strange that three were left, maybe whatever it was could only reach three through the fence. Can you put a smaller mesh wire on that corner so they can;t reach through? Or maybe something solid? Duck eggs are kind of big, will one fit through the fence mesh?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has a hardware top. Ducks are a mini so small eggs. will see if I can get photos. Did kind of look like eggs hatched till I looked a lot closer. The 3 left where farist from fence. Going to wrap whole pen in hardware. Dont want predictor to try and pull out a duck

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good, sturdy 1/2" hardware cloth is the best defense for any pet poultry. Do too much rather than not enough. Be sure that it is securely attached or it'll just get peeled up and out of the way.
I'm so sorry something got her eggs.
Would she use a duck house/nest box???

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I did not believe the eggs had a very good chance of hatching, I was disappointed to find some creature ate them. The eggs where laid in a corner of a chain link pen, pen inside 6 ft wooden fence. Stolen eggs where eaten inches away from nest right on other side of fence, They where broken. I believe raccoon reached in and grab egg one by one. Even though in city wildlife is raccoon, shrunk, possum, rat, squirrel, chipmunk, hawk coyote, fox, cat and dog. I think only squirrel and chipmunk can fit though chain link. 6th fence keeps out k9 predators. Who do you think my egg eater is ? 3 eggs still left as of today

likely raccoon, but could also be possum or skunk. usually if skunk is around you know it...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rats will eat your eggs and they leave the shells behind, plus they can get easily through a chainlink fence, though they would likely eat them right there instead of transporting them through the fence. I'd vote raccoon. They have a good, long reach.