Someone to do Your Seed Orders

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedratings.com

They provide ideas for choices from quite a number of different retailers: Territorial, Johnny's, Harris, Burpee, Baker Creek, etc.

What if they did your ordering for you? A service could bunch your order ..?

One of their ideas is Seedwise. That one looks like a retailer for seed producers on the small end of the scale. So, that is a tier in a clearing house network.

I get the idea that Fedco plays this role but also taps big seed wholesalers. Of course, no seed retailers are likely to play a role in actually growing the seed they sell. But anyway, a clearing houses might take on a new role in commerce.

I wonder about shipping costs to consumers - which would be how they would make any $.

Steve

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
clearing house might be a good term for them but i think of a concierge seed supplier might be better. how would this work with them? do you tell them your preferences of growing conventional/organic/don't care? heirlooms/OP/hybrids/whatever?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'll go back and change the thread title to "orders" from "shopping."

We are, after all, making variety decisions.

The seed retailer is listed beside the price, @Chickie'sMomaInNH .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh oh.

I misunderstood - they are just bunching information on the varieties at Seedratings!

Quick! Back to edit original post ... to suggest a new enterprise idea!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shoot.

What I thought was this might be a replacement for the "service" Jung's Seed used to have. You could order from all but one of their catalogs at one online site.

As it is, you will pay Jung's a separate shipping charge for something from a different "source." And yet, that source is in the same Wisconsin warehouse as everything from their multiple catalogs.

Well, you just wait! Someone will grab this idea and run with it ... maybe they already have and I've been living under the rock pile.

Steve

Latest posts