Something is eating my cukes

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally got two tomatoes off of my second planting of them and they have little hoes in them? What could be causeing this? So far this has not happened before.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I finally got two tomatoes off of my second planting of them and they have little hoes in them? What could be causeing this? So far this has not happened before.
Tomatoes or cukes, O???

Holes in tomatoes may be from slugs.

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dang, sorry for the confusion but I must have been tired. I am finding little holes in my cukes. I know it is fall and the bugs are out in force which is what makes fall gardening so difficult but still I would like a cuke no swiss cheese.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do you have chipmunks or ground squirrels where you live? They take little nibbles out of my produce here, it seems like they have a little taste of each one but don't ever finish the whole item.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think it is a squirel cause the damage is perfect tiny circles that are bored (sp?) in to the cuke. I am going to do a search on cucumber beetle damage.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
On Illinois Gardener last Thursday, they were talking about how the cucumber beetle carries bacterial wilt, and how we here had a bad cucumber crop this year because of it. Look below at the results:
2010Cucumberhotpepperbed-1.jpg

The brown (above) are my dead cucumber vines. The same thing happened to my pumpkins this year. :(
2010Cucumbersthatfailed.jpg

However, the green to the right are my jalepano and banana peppers. NOTHING is eating on them or on the little orange marigolds all green and bushy.
2010 has been MY year to experiment. I have sprayed NOTHING this year, since I wanted to find out which crops need it and which crops do not.
My okra has been eaten on and doesn't care. :cool:
Here are my Hot Peppers~
2010Hotpeppers-2.jpg

Here are the marigolds I started from seed.~
2010Cucumberbedwithhealthymarigoldbushes.jpg

Latest posts