Something Really Different!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
as for creative uses of cucumbers, i'm having one in my raisin bran this morning. it's pretty good. :)

Pretty good is Pretty Good ... I don't know if I will try it ;)

But, I will try different foods - I'm fairly receptive :). Yesterday, I was gonna have the last 2 slices of my favorite 12 grain as a grilled tuna fish sandwich. Uh oh, no celery!

I am a celery fan but there are lots of veggies that I like. Snap peas! Ookaay ... I'll dice them with a green onion. Didn't add the customary cheese because I wanted to taste the peas and have some idea if that worked. No, not really ... lunch was just okay. Cheese usually helps most anything. Shoulda added the cheese ;).

There is something that I learned recently is that mayo can go on both sides of a grilled cheese sandwich. Got that from a cooking site. My opinion is that it is better to use it cooking the tuna fish sandwich.

Have never really thought of myself as a tuna fish fan but I was surprised a few years ago when I was trying to come up with a palatable way to use pumpkin was that pumpkin and tuna fish make a good soup combo.

Have you tried anything new, anything random, anything off-the-wall, lately?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today it is more traditional raisin bran, with lemon juice, yogurt and heavy whipping cream (to use it up before it goes bad). the raisins are so sweet that i like to have something tart to go with them.

hmm, not a big fan of tuna other than as sashimi. (this fruit fly is really determined to be a part of my brunch today)...

raw onions go well with raisins too.

i used to make sandwiches with munster cheese, raisins, raw spinach and olive oil. i haven't had one of those in a long time though.

i can see myself sometime trying some dill with my raisin bran and yogurt.

then there are those who like raw onions, mayo, and peanut butter. to me raw onions and peanut butter reminds me a lot of liver and while i like a very weak liver pate' (made from braunschweiger, a bit of mayo, olive oil and lemon juice along with fresh garlic ground up to a very fine paste) i'm not a big fan of full strength liver. i need to hide it in something (fried onions and bacon work well too). so i'm not someone who does the peanut butter and onion thing...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I hate to say this but I think you just slid into the culinary ditch, lol. :eek:

heeheehee, Mom thinks i'm nutz too... i've cooked all sorts of cuisines, i'm not pretending to be a fine arts chef or anything, but i do like strange combinations and trying new things at times.

like once i found out that i like hot chilis, curries, and other spices in my hot chocolate. i have this container of green chili paste in the fridge that i use for hot chocolate. it has shrimp paste in it (can't really taste it at all, the other stuff dominates, garlic, lemon grass, green chili). i'm trying to use it up, it expired 5yrs ago. still good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellll ...

I coulda made a pasta tuna fish salad and stuffed that between 2 slices of bread. Kinda so-so with tuna salad. I was all set for that grilled sandwich, too. Windy and I'd been outdoors in shirt-sleeves.

In my quest to find uses for Greek yogurt, I have found recipes for its use as a salad dressing ingredient, of course. I might try that next time in my grilled tuna fish, a little squeeze of yellow mustard. Leave the mayo for the grill side.

But, this doesn't solve my lack of celery dilemma. I often add pickle relish with the celery but doubling the pickles won't do it either. Nope. Could I have just used a diced cucumber? When I've got a cucumber to dice :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fried bologna. Haven't had it in oh so long. So next trip to the grocery, I'm buying some bologna. Also like bologna and baked bean sandwiches. YUM!
Ha! I have done that ... but not with the baked beans.

Scrambled eggs :). Good in a sandwich

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Threw together some Stackups for a light supper last night. Good warm or cold, having leftovers for lunch today.
Stackups.JPG

Another favorite toasted sandwich, similar to a Denver but only made with green onion and parmasen cheese and just a tad of can milk, tried it with regular table cream but not as good. It's the can milk that gives it the flavor I look for. This was one I swiped from my FIL.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Threw together some Stackups for a light supper last night. Good warm or cold, having leftovers for lunch today.
View attachment 27288

Another favorite toasted sandwich, similar to a Denver but only made with green onion and parmasen cheese and just a tad of can milk, tried it with regular table cream but not as good. It's the can milk that gives it the flavor I look for. This was one I swiped from my FIL.

Annette

i'm not sure how the milk comes into play here. please describe further? :)

p.s. those look wonderfully delicious...

Latest posts