Something turning my cukes/peppers/eggplant leaves in to lace

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know it is a beetle but I read conflicting reports on what to do about them. I have read that most damage is aesthetic and should be left alone. I also read that damage can be damaging. In my opinonion I think they are damaging my plants. What do you feel?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Flea beetles turned my radish leaves to shreds and I ended up with no harvest. I did solve the problem by sprinkling DE on the ground by the plants. It disrupts their breeding cycle.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree. Sure sounds like flea beetles. Many people seem to think they don't do much damage but unless I treat my eggplant, the leaves turn brown, dry out and crumble away. They don't make much eggplant if they don't have any leaves.

I spray mine with Sevin.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they little tiny black beetles? Sounds like flea beetles to me. They are very determined and will wear out all your leaves quickly and repeatedly! I had to spray them to get them under control. Once I had leaves again, my eggplants started to produce! :p

Potato beetles will also work on eggplant. I just pull them off by hand and drown them.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chris09 said:
:frow

Chris, thank you so much for those links....I found the second one particularly interesting & have filed it.

Personally I tend to keep my brassicas covered from the moment I plant them out. This year I have been expeimenting on two raised beds full of brassicas. One is covered with a lightweight row-cover fleece material & the other with a fine translucent plastic mesh, both cover the entire bed & are firmly anchored to the ground. So far the row-cover fleece is winning hands down with no hloles at all in the leaves while the plastic mesh bed does have a few holes in the plants on the lower sides (the mesh is fastened over metal hoops) so I suspect some insects still get through the mesh where the leaves press against it. So next year I will only use the fleece......good news as it is cheaper & comes in much wider widths.
Another bonus has been that as my chickens & the wild pigeons cannot see the crop they have not pecked at them or dug them up. :celebrate

Hattie

Latest posts