Southern California!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone?
What are you going to grow this year? When are you starting? It's going to be 80 degrees all this week, so I have DH out there with the tractor and the till! :throw

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Carri -

I'll be doing my usual veggie garden this year, although I'm not sure whether I'll grow corn this year or not - It takes up so much space for just a few ears, space that I don't really have. There's nothing like fresh corn, though!

One of the things I plan on growing this year that I haven't in years past is garlic that has been in the family for decades. I wanted to get it in the garden by November, which is what I was supposed to do, but never got around to it. I'm going to have to chance it this late because I don't want to waste it and lose the opportunity since it'll probably be a while before I see these family members again to get a fresh supply. I was going to plant it today, but the rain is coming again for the next several days and it's probably better to wait until that has finished up for a few days.

Other than that, it'll be my usual - tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, green beans, beets, radishes, green onions, maybe cucumbers (they didn't do as well last year as I would have liked), and some herbs, of course. I'm aiming to get everything started in a few weeks, assuming the weather holds up. The garden beds are ready to go!

How about you?

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Other than that, it'll be my usual - tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, green beans, beets, radishes, green onions, maybe cucumbers (they didn't do as well last year as I would have liked), and some herbs, of course. I'm aiming to get everything started in a few weeks, assuming the weather holds up. The garden beds are ready to go!

How about you?
Tomatoes, corn, peppers, radishes, cucumbers, jalepenos, hobinaros, cilantro... I think that's it?
The beds are ready! DH just has to run the water and put up an electric fence (&%$&^ DOGS).
Where do you get your plants? I'm not even going to try seeds! Last year, I went to Home Depot, but if you know of a better place, let me know!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, I did Home Depot last year as well. I tend to grow most of my stuff from seed, only buying plants for the tomatoes and peppers. What do you plan to do with the habaneros? I like things hot, really spicy, but I've been a bit afraid to try those!

Have you ever been out to the Fullerton Arboretum for any of their plant sales? They have a tomato and pepper one coming up next month and Green Scene in April.

Another question for you . . .

I have the dardest time getting my peppers and tomatoes to ripen at the same time. The tomatoes are always much later, even when I delay planting the peppers. Do you have any tricks for me on that one?

Edited to add:
Here's the link to the arboretum:
http://www.arboretum.fullerton.edu/default.asp

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:gig I should be asking you for tricks! I honestly have no idea. This is my second attempt at a veggie garden. Last year, I got tomatoes, basil and cilantro to grow. The peppers.... they didn't do so hot!
I'm going to make salsa with the hobaneros. I don't blame you for being scared... I ate one whole once (no, I was not drunk... Just stupid) and I thought I would die. But they do taste good in salsa! How about I grow them and you can have some?
I've never heard of that plant sale! Very exciting. I'll have to go down there. I bought a tomato plant last year that I just loved. I don't like tomatoes but this plant had little yellow, perfectly round tomatoes that were so good! I'd love to get another couple of those. Are you going?
I did go to Home Depot the other day to see what they had. They've got some stuff but nothing really yet. DH still has to finish up the water and the electric fence, and I have to raise the beds a little bit more, then we're good to go.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've usually had pretty good luck with my garden, but didn't get many tomatoes. Well, I should clarify. A LOT of tomatoes grew, but something else ate them instead of me (and it wasn't the chickens, either!). I haven't the faintest idea what, tho. It'd eat them at night. It'd eat them in the day. I'd water my veggies in the morning and come back a couple of hours later and several of my sweet peppers would be missing. I live smack in the middle of a heavily populated city, not in the country with lots of critters!

OK, you've got a deal. You grow the habaneros and I'll try one, although not whole given your previous experience. :th

You must have a good trick with the cilantro as well. Mine usually bolts really quickly, and you've got more heat than we do. Maybe I'll plant it on the side yard that gets some shade part of the day.

I will likely make a trek to Fullerton for one of their sales. I've never been to the big tomato and pepper sale, but I have been to the Green Scene, which has all kinds of veggies plus lots of other fun plants. Let me know if you plan on going. I know you ended up hanging out with Mary before she left for Washington, but somehow you managed to miss our big gathering at the OC Fair.

Perfect round yellow tomatoes?? Were they small, like a cherry tomato and grew in clusters? Or were they larger than that? I had GREAT luck with a Sungold tomato plant that I got at Home Depot. Believe it or not, I just picked some tomatoes from that yesterday for our dinner salad!! That has to be my record. I'll have to look at my garden calendar, but I think I planted that last May.

I think I'd like to try growing a banana tree! That would be fun. I could plant it right next to my orange tree for easy fruit salad pickings! Ha!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sungold may have been the name, but I want to say it was Golden something... Golden Nugget maybe? But it looked just like a cherry tomoto, only yellow and sweet.
I don't remember what happened with the OC Fair... Yep, I did see Mary before she left. She was out here in Norco and we met up.
You don't have a gopher, do you? :barnie
Let me know when you want to go to Fullerton. I'll meet up with you! When is the Green Scene?

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There is a tomato called Golden Nugget, so perhaps you're right about that being the one. I'll have to take a look for it this year. Sounds yummy!

Green Scene is taking place on April 19 & 20 this year. The hours run from 10:00 - 4:00. Admission is $6 and they recommend that you bring a wagon, which is what I've done in the past. There are zillions of plants! However, if you're only wanting tomatoes and peppers, you may be better off going to the March 13 - 16 tomato and pepper show, which is free. There's a list of varieties on their website. I haven't yet decided which one I want to attend and perhaps I'll do both. :D

No, I don't think I have a gopher - at least I don't have any evidence of one. I suspect that my daytime critters are squirrels. Those little fluffy menaces are always in my yard. I'm not sure of the night time critter - maybe tree rats? Possums? I've seen both. Possums love my oranges.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Looks like I can't do the tomato/pepper one. We're going camping with our camping club that weekend. But my birthday is April 15th and my parents are coming down that weekend, and my mom would love going to Green Scene. I talked to my dad about it and he's going to mention it to her. She has quite the green thumb so she's the perfect one to take plant shopping. Besides, she says all of our nurserys out here suck. :lol: So, hopefully we'll find something good out there!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How fun! Ironically, when I first found your reply, I was on the Internet looking for places to go RV camping! We haven't been out in forever and have the itch to head out again. If you have a favorite place in the area, please let me know! If we're camping locally, we usually end up in Temecula, San Diego, or Big Bear (in the summer) but are open to new ideas.

You'll have great fun if your mom and you go to Green Scene. Just make sure you bring a wagon or use their plant storage area so that you don't try to lug a bunch of plants with you as you're exploring Green Scene.

There's a good chance I'll be going as well, perhaps to both of them. My church is going to allow a group of us to use a large lot for a sustainable gardening project that several of us would like to undertake. I'm guessing it's 8,000 - 10,000+ sf. We still have to measure it, but that's what it looks like on Google Earth. That's bigger than my entire lot, so the thought of this is exciting! I'm going to be posting on that separately because I'm sure there'll be lots of good ideas here.