Spaghetti squash

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m suppose to eat less starch, more vegetables. I won’t give up spaghetti. So by substituting spaghetti squash for wheat spaghetti, how bad is it? Will it keep?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like it, my husband eats it but doesn't crave it.
It's not a pasta, so if you go into it expecting it to be comparable you will probably be disappointed. If you call it" long stranded vegetable perfect for holding tomato sauce" you might enjoy it more.

It's been many years since I grew it, so I don't remember how long it kept, but I would say definitely not as long as a winter squash, but longer than a summer squash.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are alternative pastas that are made from quinoa, chickpeas, and other combined vegetables that I can't remember at the moment.

I've had some of these, some are good, some are not worth cooking IMO. You kind of have to shop around and try some to see what works for you.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m suppose to eat less starch, more vegetables. I won’t give up spaghetti. So by substituting spaghetti squash for wheat spaghetti, how bad is it? Will it keep?
I love spaghetti squash. There are many alternative pastas if the problem is just wheat. I only use rice pasta-tastes the same to me. Some brands are better than others. I buy it online.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cut zucchini in long strips and use for lasagna noodles. We like it and it isn't heavy like a gob of pasta in our stomach. And Steve is right, I use a mandolin to slice them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m fine with wheat. Need to cut back on sugars and starch. Gave up pop/sweet tea. Now to cut back on starches. Key is cut back.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i'm not best judge of this since i love almost every squash/veggie i can eat.

we did grow these one season. had a few fruits, but not nearly enough to make it worth the space or a repeat trial. i was ok with the results, kinda bland, but similar in taste to me as any of the other summer squashes (zucchini, yellow, pattypans, etc). texture was stringy as described and was ok with me. i'm not put off by that sort of thing. would eat them again any time if someone gives them to us, probably won't grow. we put the space into pickle production instead because we all eat those as much as we can grow (or put up).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m fine with wheat. Need to cut back on sugars and starch. Gave up pop/sweet tea. Now to cut back on starches. Key is cut back.

same here, helps keep the lbs off during winter if i can limit myself. i figure i've eaten about 30lbs less sugar than usual this past year (just what i used to dump on cereal at times alone would count for half of this) and increased the complex carbohydrates and added more fiber instead. feel just as full or better, have lost some weight and kept a lot of the normal winter weight gain off and have not had to try so hard (but at times i still do want to eat a horse and all it's relatives during the real cold spells)...

good luck with hitting your goals. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like it, my husband eats it but doesn't crave it.
It's not a pasta, so if you go into it expecting it to be comparable you will probably be disappointed. If you call it" long stranded vegetable perfect for holding tomato sauce" you might enjoy it more.

It's been many years since I grew it, so I don't remember how long it kept, but I would say definitely not as long as a winter squash, but longer than a summer squash.
Exactly

Latest posts