Sprig Winter Growing - 2018 / 2019

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, it's about time to start seeding for winter growing. This winter will be tomatoes (Nebraska Wedding & Sweet Pea Currant), peppers (Scotch Bonnets & Jalapenos), basil (Thai and Genovese) and some spinach.

Super excited since with all our moving and renovations we didn't have a garden this summer

20180815_193235_HDR.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I missed this beginning post on your indoor gardening adventure, Sprig'.

I had some surgery last fall and didn't think it made sense to haul the heavy bench out of the greenhouse for winter growing in a bed in there. Asian greens and I won't turn the heat on until just days before spring. Not any heat-loving plants, that's for sure. Hope I can get it set up this year - better check my schedule.

I realize that you have this going in your home but I'm surprised that plants that require so much light are a comfortable choice for you. No problems providing that light? I used to think that my electric and firewood heated home that I moved from 20 years ago could have made better use of the electricity with grow lights - still providing winter warmth ;).

Basil loves warmth but does well with outdoor shade in the growing season. Your variety choices are just right to go either Asian noodles or Italian noodles in the kitchen ;).

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I missed this beginning post on your indoor gardening adventure, Sprig'.

I had some surgery last fall and didn't think it made sense to haul the heavy bench out of the greenhouse for winter growing in a bed in there. Asian greens and I won't turn the heat on until just days before spring. Not any heat-loving plants, that's for sure. Hope I can get it set up this year - better check my schedule.

I realize that you have this going in your home but I'm surprised that plants that require so much light are a comfortable choice for you. No problems providing that light? I used to think that my electric and firewood heated home that I moved from 20 years ago could have made better use of the electricity with grow lights - still providing winter warmth ;).

Basil loves warmth but does well with outdoor shade in the growing season. Your variety choices are just right to go either Asian noodles or Italian noodles in the kitchen ;).

Steve

It's a bit of "provide food" but also givea me the ability to experiment with somw things year round :)

I do plan on building a greenhouse, I just need to balance the money between that and buying the things I need for my tree farm

Indoors? Do you have a grow tent or a sunroom or a spare room?

There's a storage room in our house that is under our garage and accessible via pur basement that I have setup for weights and have my tent in there. Eventually I'll setup my seedling bay in there as well. It has nice 9' ceilings

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
under our garage and accessible via pur basement
Ha!

There is a home with some history in a nearby community that has a detached garage. I say detached but there is a tunnel from the house basement to the garage basement.

I would like a different stairway to my basement. Then! It occurred to me that this staircase would be at no great distance from the greenhouse ... With a tunnel, I could access the greenhouse without going outdoors.

Before I do something crazy like that, I need to replace some of the redwood boards in the greenhouse. The sill all along the south foundation needs to go. That and replacing the plastic film will be major projects for this olde guy and may keep me from winter growing. The job will be complicated by several dozen pepper plants that are growing in there this summer. In The Way!

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been around. My dad got sick earlier this year with pancreatic cancer and in December the cancer finally took his life. It's an incredibly sad thing for many reasons, least of which dying at only 68 years young. I'll plant some trees for him next year :)

Winter growing going strong :)

20181219_060841_HDR.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am SORRY, Sprig.

This must have been a very difficult time for so many of the people you cared about.

Your growing, indoor plants look real good. A peaceful scene ...

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss Sprig. We are dealing with that currently with my father in law.

Mary
Good luck. It hits fast and hard. They found it in my dad when he was already at "stage 4" and had gotten into his liver, lungs, ....

After going into chemo he basically never got better. At least he finally got to see his grandkid #5 :)

I am SORRY, Sprig.

This must have been a very difficult time for so many of the people you cared about.

Your growing, indoor plants look real good. A peaceful scene ...

Steve

It was rough. Our older daughter took it real hard. It certainly robbed me from a lot of help I needed from him with construction stuff next year. He built staircases and did historical renovations for a living.

Latest posts