Spring in my basement

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes I managed to get all 3 of my roses....and yes they are all growing in the basement. Broadway, Blue a Girl & Yellow Rose of Texas. This picture is a couple days old already.....should be a real pretty year here!!!

image.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nicely done Jared! I guess your Yellow Rose of Texas is shy?

Since they will likely have to be in your basement for several weeks, maybe you should pot them up and get them out of their packaging.
Most of those store pots are just filled with a medium to keep the roots from drying out. I would at least remove the outer wrap so there is better air exchange and you don't get anything fungal growing around the stems.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's the plan. And yes my poor little yellow us a little shy. It's growing just not gangbusters.

Been so dang busy preparing for the next little one here it's been tough to even remember I have those sitting there! It's been a rough pregnancy on my wife and it's often said around the house by both of us "Is it May YET!!!"

However with a name like Broadway what else could I expect?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love all roses, but that Broadway is gorgeous! I wish the Teas were more hardy here. I know a gal here who lifts and wraps them to store over the winter in a semi-heated shed, dozens of them! :hide

Your yard is going to be beautiful @Jared77 ! I don't like to rush a nice Spring, but I hope it is May for you soon! .. and best wishes to you and your wife for your next arrival!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 said, ... I know a gal here who lifts and wraps them to store over the winter in a semi-heated shed, dozens of them!

I didn't know that was possible!

The greenhouse where I worked would sell hundreds of their teas when they were pulled and replaced. Never, ever did anyone come back to say how well they were doing after a winter outdoors. There are outdoor varieties but not the ones we had.

So! You can lift and store them through the winter. Oh my! Would peat blocks help? That would be like they'd be raised hydroponically ...

thinking digitS'

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' , I wish I had a photo of her yard! The entire yard was paths and rose gardens, with borders of alyssum and lobelia. It was absolutely amazing! She and her husband would lift the rose bushes that were too tender or semi-tender to survive here, wrap them in straw and burlap and store them in sheds. I went by there in winter and the yard was almost bare.

I had been to her house with my scout troop for a cake decorating class, unfortunately so long ago, before I really paid attention to all the details of gardening. But I read a local paper article about her gardens a while later. They live not real far from me, if I get by there this summer I may have to stop and have a chat. :) ... although, don't look for a shed of roses here. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, a shed is right up my alley ;). I'm not really interested in heating, tho'. Basement shelving may allow dahlias and something else to live cooperatively.

Bare ground in winter is okay. What some folks think of as "winter interest" is "are you kidding?" A bush that looks dead 6 months outta the year ..?

I mean, I really like oak trees but the ones that hold their leaves through the winters are flat-out depressing.

Steve
environmental storage requirements roses ... googling!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mean, I really like oak trees but the ones that hold their leaves through the winters are flat-out depressing.
Ah, perhaps you just see them one at a time, but I think my grove of pin oaks is beautiful throughout the winter with its 'singing leaves'. Far from depressing, these trees -- a gift from some slow or absent minded squirrel -- lift my spirits on cold, clear winter nights.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read a book about the world of rose competition. They all grew their bushes in trash barrels so that they could move them into a garage or other buildings for the winter. No frost on those bushes.

Latest posts