Springing into spring.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The week ahead looks like it will be fine for opening the greenhouse. I am only three days behind last year so it is not that bad.

Today I started mixing the ingredients for the Autobots and began potting my greenhouse tomatoes for the season. This year, I intend to include a lot of frying peppers in the greenhouse as well as the tomatoes. And, someone gave me seeds for an Italian tomato called Redorta. One plant will be placed in the greenhouse and if we like it I will be sure to save some seeds.

"Named for a mountain, Pizzo Redorta in Bergamo, Italy. TomatoFest preferred Italian paste tomato. A much larger tomato (8 oz., 4-inch) with much better taste than its cousin, San Marzano. Meaty, delicious enough to eat off the vine with the bonus of ending up with more tomato paste per plant. An excellent choice for a wonderful complex and flavorful choice for tomato sauce, canning or salsa. Disease resistant."

5118.jpg

may1.jpg

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
How are the New Yorkers doing
Seeing as how they are New Yorkers they will go in the garden to see how they really do in New York. The greenhouse tomatoes are Tropics, developed for Florida and greenhouse conditions. I am not sure how the Alpine San Marzano will do in the greenhouse, but I suspect it will be fine.

@ninnymary Note the pepper plants in the background. I think you wrote that you have trouble starting peppers from seed. They are really one of the easiest to start if you first soak the seeds in mild water and hydrogen peroxide overnight, then place them in a moist coffee filter in a warm place with some bright light. Try them under your new lights.

NewYorker.jpg

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
This one is going in the greenhouse also, it is supposed to be rare in this country and a very good sweet pepper from Hungary, the Giant Kapia. If it lives up to its reputation I will save the seeds.

giant kapia.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, Jackb that wasn't me. I'm not brave enough to try to start a pepper from seed. I only do cilantro, zucchini, and pole beans from seed. :p

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be interested to know how the paste tomato and the Hungarian pepper do, Jack. I love the idea of rescuing old varieties, but rarely do they live up to the description, for me.

Latest posts