Sprinklers Still Not On update Fixed

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My heavy clay soil baked to cement in pass heatwave. I asked my nephew if he could figure out the control box. Box has no power, don't know if box burnt out or powerline to box problem :barnie:barnie:barnie:he:he:he I just spent $1,600 replacing whole braking system on truck last night. Don't want to know what this is going to cost

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes water working everywhere. Sprinkler turned off and lines blown in fall as to be turned on in spring. No display at all on control box

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our drought conditions continue.

After nearly an inch of June rain, 3/100 of an inch of rain fell in 3 July "rain events." How does the Weather Service even measure such minuscule amounts!?

There has been no sprinkles this month and continuing hot, dry weather - over 100 degrees for this afternoon.

I have been observing the 3 neighbors with automatic sprinklers set to run once every 24 hours.

One keeps the grass very short but any part of the lawn more than 6' from a sprinkler needs no mowing. Dry as toast and with the same color ~ full sun location.

One has a partially green lawn ~ full sun location.

One has a nice green lawn ~ sun only during early morning and late afternoon location. This neighbor has small lawns and a very large garage and mows rather high.

I'm busy moving sprinklers and hit 3 times a week for the lawn only last week. I'll try that again this week but the lawn grass is staying green. From measuring with a cake pan and the clock, I'm putting down about 2" of water for these 2 weeks. About 1 1/2 inches per week is what I'm usually shooting for.

Oops! Time to move the sprinklers ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's 106°f at 3:30pm ...

Lawn grasses have very short roots and can take advantage of frequent irrigation. But right now, only plants in protected areas can easily get by and stay green with frequent, shallow irrigation.

My lawn has a good deal of white clover. For grazing purposes, it's considered shallow-rooted but depth is noted at about 3'. Compared to Kentucky bluegrass, that is deep! Most bushes and trees would have roots far deeper.

The clover pulling moisture from deeper benefits the lawn grass. Part of my lawn is in full sun and the clover seems to especially like it there. Kentucky Bluegrass. Dutch White Clover, Green.

Steve

Last edited: