sprout your own

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this topic but I guess here is as good as any.
Does anyone else here sprout?
I wanted to sprout some beans/seeds and got the stuff to do it but then I read that you are suppose to soak them in bleach for a short time to get rid of a bacteria they carry.
That turns me off but I also don't want us to get sick.
Anyone have some input?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I soak the beans or seeds then put them drained in a quart mason wide mouth jar with a screen cut the size of the ring lid on top

I do not worry about the bacteria because I am not immune compromised, a small child ...elderly (yet) or pregnant

have fun sesame seed sprouts are really good!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ps I do have to admit I have done this my entire adult life through pregnancies, and my kids always loved fresh sprouts

do we risk getting ill? ..I guess... but I did not know at the time and it did not happen ..I tihnk good hygiene (hand washing) is all you really need and then eat them up quickly ..also you can saute them as well

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, I have to do that with my alfalfa sprouts too. I think it is because of a risk of botulism, which is serious business. It doesn't take much bleach though. The directions on my alfalfa says a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. Soak for 10-20 minutes, drain and rinse thoroughly with clean water.

I know it sounds nasty, but the bleach is better than the bacteria. You can even purify water in an emergency/disaster with a couple tablespoons of bleach per gallon (then let it sit 24 hours). We used to pour it into our old well at my dad's farm. They use it on municipal water too, but in a different form.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I hate screwing with anything that is natural but I guess sometimes you have to.
I love sprouts and can't see having to buy them when I can sprout my own in such a short time.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree but something's like botulism are natural and must be eradicated ...bleach evaporates right off food and my son who is a sous chef told me they use bleach water on everything to be safe :) ..way different than pesticides or other things that will kill you faster

a little bleach while others may disagree and honestly I do not use because I bleach the heck out of my kitchen (it is my main sanitizer that vinegar and baking soda do all my cleaning ..ok I do love me some Fabuloso I am sorry but for spring and fall cleaning I do the Fabuloso! along with everything else)

sprouts are so good you must try garbanzo sprouts for sure they are aboslutey terrific ..

chia sprouts ..chia is in bulk at most Mexican markets and it is really fun to swell it up and drink it in iced tea but the sprouts of chia are good ..basil seeds to in any Thai market you can find big bags of basil seeds to either swell or sprout

get me started on seeds and sprouts :)

people will always pick and choose battles I choose not to be afraid of bleach

but again I do not bleach my sprouts ..I may after reaing this thread however !

Natalie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yup, I do the bleach. It's barely any. It's the same ratio that restaurants are required to use in their dish-rinsing water. So if you ever eat out, all the dishes used to make and serve your food are also rinsed in 1:9 bleach water. The difference is that you can rinse/soak your seeds in regular water after the bleach and get most of it out anyway.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am aware of using bleach to wash dishes, I worked many years in restaurants and I also use bleach to clean the stains left in coffee mugs but my concern was that the beans would absorb the bleach.
Where dishes do not absorb liquid I was leary of actually using it directly on food.
After looking into it I have already gone ahead and done it though.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.:)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to do some sprouts now with the Chipmunk kid :) since we have been out gardening all summer I have not done any sprouts ..so it is time to get the jars out ...and I will bleach them ..you guys make sense and so does bleach ..after being sick with this crap for two weeks why on earth take a chance when a little dab o bleach will do it? :)

so what types of beans and seeds do you like

so far I have enjoyed most all I can think of
radish
sesame
chick peas
sunflower
mung
soy
what else? wheat sprouts make great cereal and a nice chewy addidtion to bread

Latest posts