sprouted taters

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got home late yesterday afternoon, and since it was my turn to cook dinner I was looking for something easy and fast. Omelets and fried potatoes sounded good, but when I went to the pantry to get a couple of the potatoes from last summer I found that they had sprouted. I mean SPROUTED. One of them had stems as long as my hand. I dug deeper into the box of individually newspaper wrapped spuds.. and every single one was sprouted. Some just a little nub here and there, some as if they were planted in the garden.
What did I do wrong? Dry potatoes – wrapped in newspaper (a neighbor suggested that) – piled in a cardboard box – on the floor of the pantry = dark, dry, cool(ish).
And – if I break off the sprouts, can we still eat them?????
Or – what do I do with them now? Keep them in the pantry till it warms up and plant them??

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got home late yesterday afternoon, and since it was my turn to cook dinner I was looking for something easy and fast. Omelets and fried potatoes sounded good, but when I went to the pantry to get a couple of the potatoes from last summer I found that they had sprouted. I mean SPROUTED. One of them had stems as long as my hand. I dug deeper into the box of individually newspaper wrapped spuds.. and every single one was sprouted. Some just a little nub here and there, some as if they were planted in the garden.
What did I do wrong? Dry potatoes – wrapped in newspaper (a neighbor suggested that) – piled in a cardboard box – on the floor of the pantry = dark, dry, cool(ish).
And – if I break off the sprouts, can we still eat them?????
Or – what do I do with them now? Keep them in the pantry till it warms up and plant them??
I have eaten sprouted potatoes, as long as they aren't too soft. Maybe you could try planting a couple in a bag of dirt, like some on this forum have done.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not wrap tomatoes in paper for the very problem you may have had with those taters. I can't keep track of them!

It's probably been a little too warm for ideal storage conditions, Cane'. You can look up U of Idaho info on that.

Can you get them in your garden in the next few weeks? Are they healthy? I have planted spuds with some pretty long sprouts! Even if you break them off, they should grow more. You can even break them off now. I do that once or twice with my early spuds during the fall. In fact, my potatoes are all gone about this time every year. Don't grow the "lates."

Oorrr, it would be fun for us if you would do as So Lucky suggests and report back on their growing!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hash-brown sliced potatoes with a mandolin slicer last spring. Then I blanched them to keep them from turning black, drained them thoroughly, and dehydrated them. I store them in a glass jar, shake out what I want into a bowl and cover with hot water. In 45 minutes they are ready to use, drain them and continue with making hash browns. They are great! I have also used them in soups in lieu of using noodles.

This won't help you right now, but it might help you keep more of your harvest from the next planting. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as they have not gone soft. Go ahead and eat them. At least you have some. We tried save ours in the stair well to the basement from the outside. WRONG. Every last one of them froze. :hitAnd we had 3 full crates.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had mine in what I thought was the coolest corner of the basement, but they were beginning to sprout too. They're not too soft, so I'm going to eat them. I brought them all up yesterday, peeled and soaked them and today I am going to shred/slice them all to dehydrate, except for a few which will go in to a big ol' pot of potato soup for dinner tonight. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have eaten sprouted potatoes, as long as they aren't too soft. Maybe you could try planting a couple in a bag of dirt, like some on this forum have done.

Alright! I'm going to give this a try. I've got a BUNCH of feed bags that I was planning to make shopping bags out of... (yeah... that's gonna happen LOL).
SO! Potato growers: What do I put in the bags? No, really. Potting soil? Someone on TEG is having a discussion about growing them in straw (?). Sawdust/shavings? Not much chance of digging up bags of soil from the yard - it's all frozen.
Maybe just layers of news paper, they seemd to like that enough to start sprouting.....

Latest posts