Sprouts!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buckabucka (Robin) in the "What did YOU do in the Garden" thread reminded me of something: sprouts!

This year, I am planning to grow mung beans in the garden. I'm a little late with my Kitazawa order but there is a mung bean in their catalog. Yeah. I'm talking about growing the plant :).

You all know that I'm looking forward to my soybeans as edamame again in 2014 :p. I'll have dry kidney beans too but had better get what I've already got, used up!

As best as I know, I've never seen a mung bean plant. I mean, larger than what would fit in my bowl of noodles. Lima beans were tried - waaay back, and didn't do well. I also grew lentils and garbanzos years ago. Tiny plants and not very productive. Adzuki beans were a serious failure. I had high hopes! The seed never fully matured altho' at first, I thought they had - inside a whole bunch of pods :/. Cowpeas - I'm not sure that was a serious attempt . . . :rolleyes:

Years ago, I had this thing for alfalfa sprouts and cream cheese in between slices of whole grain bread. Radish sprouts were a real good choice, too! It could have been that I discovered that bread made with sprouted grains and that alfalfa/cream cheese combination at the same time. It could also be the girl who used to make them for me . . .

Anyway, it has been about 20 years since I've done any sprouting - put the alfalfa away and just bought my mung bean sprouts at the store . . . Right now sure seems like the time of the year for 'em! Do we have TEG sprouts on the forum?

Steve

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got one of those little sprout towers I've done alfalfa sprouts in. I like sprouts better than lettuce on my sandwiches and definitely on bagels and cc! :drool

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never had any trouble with the alfalfa sprouts, Journey. Yes, I am not willing to put lettuce ahead of alfalfa sprouts. Lettuce is more versatile, is all.

My mung bean sprouts didn't always come out real good in that, they weren't always the plumpest things. You know, you want them to be just the same as nice healthy seedlings.

Just a quart jar and cheese cloth lying on the draining board :). . .

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I buy my mung bean sprouts at the store, and lately i've been on a big kick of them - love them in my salads, stirfry, etc. never tried it with cream cheese on a bagel though!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't either that I can remember, Heather. Not by themselves or just with a spread. They've been in chicken salad sandwich type things :).

You know, when I was a kid - I didn't care for noodles. Nothing too special about a noodle . . . I like them just fine now but they need to be a "backdrop" for something. Veggies are the real deal.

I had noodles for lunch today - with cilantro, basil, green onions, beef. Boy, did I miss the sprouts! Missed the bok choy or broccoli or lettuce or something! Too much garlic but I wasn't gonna mention that if no one else did . . .

Steve :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do plan on a few mung beans, hoping their freshness makes a difference. Then there is the idea that prompted this topic, Thistle' :

:D
Sprouted Wheat Bread (link)

Steve

Latest posts