Squash screw-up!

Reaction score
This is only our second yr of having a garden, tho both of us grew up with gardens, therefore no real excuse for this :/

I thought I purchased yellow crookneck seedlings at the hardware store and since we love!! it, I bought 36 ...... and yay! they're blooming, and setting fruit, and ........... it's NOT yellow crooknook, it's patty pan/scalloped/semmlins :barnie

So I"m thinking we'll learn to love patty pan squash! Any great recipes for this type? And does anyone live in VA who would like some? or alot? :lol:

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
3nglishteacher said:
This is only our second yr of having a garden, tho both of us grew up with gardens, therefore no real excuse for this :/

I thought I purchased yellow crookneck seedlings at the hardware store and since we love!! it, I bought 36 ...... and yay! they're blooming, and setting fruit, and ........... it's NOT yellow crooknook, it's patty pan/scalloped/semmlins :barnie

So I"m thinking we'll learn to love patty pan squash! Any great recipes for this type? And does anyone live in VA who would like some? or alot? :lol:
:welcome from SC.

You'll have to let me know how you like it, I've never grown nor eaten patty pan!

By the way, how did this end up happening, were they mislabeled or did you grab the wrong ones?

Reaction score
At first I thought they'd been mislabeled, but I found some of the tabs -- clearly said "Scalloped", and I hung my head in shame.

The week before that planting, sent dh to store for seedlings & he came back w/ 48 tomato plants!!!! Whereupon I banned him from going to hardware store alone ever again.......next week I came home w/ what has turned out to be the wrong squash!

Now no one is allowed to go to the store anymore :D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you say 36 squash plants.... Dude your like super brave, plan on selling at a Farmer's Market, or just really like squash.... I planted 6 once and had nightmares for like two years after that. .... Good luck...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can use patty pan the same way you'd use the yellow summer squash. No difference really, other than the patty pan take longer and a little more cooking liquid if you want them to get mushy for blender soups.

I planted golden scallopini last year and I warn you, they are every bit as productive as the worst zucchini.

Trying to think what all I did with them before giving up... Let's see, there was curried squash blender soup, cheesy squash casserole, veggie-rice casserole, sliced sauteed and added to minestrone, candied in butter and honey, and then I think I threw in the towel.

blender soup: Thinly slice squash and an onion or two, and simmer in stock/bouillon just to cover until tender. Let cool to not-boiling and add, I dunno, a cup or so of yogurt or buttermilk, whichever you've got. Herbs, salt and curry powder to taste, then puree.

Casserole #1: Saute thinly sliced squash in butter or olive oil with one thinly sliced onion. Layer in a casserole dish with cooked boneless skinless chicken (I used veggie chicken substitute), cream-of-mushroom soup, cheddar, sour cream, and bread crumbs. Bake @ 350F until your spouse asks what's for dinner.

Casserole #2: Saute sliced squash, one package sliced mushrooms, one chopped onion, 2 sticks chopped celery, 2 grated carrots in olive oil. Season with saffron, dill and any other herbs you like, salt & pepper. Layer in casserole with cooked rice and any kind of cheese. Bake @350F until someone says "what smells funny?"

Latest posts