Squash vine borers

Aspen

Sprout
Reaction score
I had never heard of these until my zucchini plants just collapsed and died. I have pulled up the remaining vines and discarded them.

How can these be prevented? I am trying to grow organically, so my options may be limited.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never think your options are limited if you grow organically!

Companion plantings such as nasturtiums, borage, radishes (gone to seed) and onions have been known to ward off squash vine borers when inter-planted amongst cucurbits (squash family plants).

Some other things you can do help get rid of squash borers and other overwintering bugs is to either turn the soil and let some chickens eat up the cocoons and whatever else they find or solarize the soil. To solarize the soil, take a large enough amount to cover your garden area, till the soil, water and cover securely. Leave it alone for about 4-6 weeks and this will kill disease remnants, a lot of bugs and weed seeds. I don't recommend this if you have a very established garden though, since this may kill some of the beneficial insects that have taken up shop.

Another solution, is to inject your new transplants (with a syringe from the drug store) with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) which is a naturally occurring microorganism that kills some insects (mostly in the larval stage). Insects need to eat the Bt for it to be effective. Also it should be injected in the am since it tends to breakdown in the sunlight. You can usually find this marketed as Dipel or Foray.

I've also heard of people wrapping the base of the plant with aluminum foil which then prevents the squash vine borer from entering.

Other things you can do to prevent them is to get rid of any brush or wood piles near the plants since they like to overwinter in debris.

Good luck

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Another solution, is to inject your new transplants (with a syringe from the drug store) with Bt
Actually - I'm pretty certain a prescription is required to buy medical needle syringes from a drug store. They are available on line, but only in bulk as far as I know.

~Phyllis

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Another solution, is to inject your new transplants (with a syringe from the drug store) with Bt
Actually - I'm pretty certain a prescription is required to buy medical needle syringes from a drug store. They are available on line, but only in bulk as far as I know.

~Phyllis
I've purchased them before without any problem? Perhaps it's a state by state of county by county thing.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
I've purchased them before without any problem? Perhaps it's a state by state of county by county thing.
I think you're right - must be local issue then. Hypodermic sales are regulated here in MA.

~Phyllis

Reaction score
Can you get them at your local Farmers Co-op? Another way to get rid of them is hot cayanee pepper ground mixed with water and a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing soap. Spray plants at base and then all over. Organic still but they do not like the pepper. I tried the premixed kind that was purchased but it did not seem to work as well as the homemade suff. I think we put more pepper in. You usually can find a big plastic container of this at Sam's club I don't have a Costco but they may have it also or a Resturant supply house. Sorry about my spelling today it is off...........

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Latest posts